cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: A little too early to celebrate but it looks like maybe we're back in business growing and selli

A good discussion you guys are having.

I’d offer that as a part of the cattle thing being somewhat apart from the commodity merry go round is that it the only segment left where the farmer “has his or her own” almost exclusively.

That creates the room and opportunity for diversity and innovation (and choices) in matters as Rick mentions surrounding genetics and alternative nutrition. 

I watched, and fought best as I could but in what was obviously from the beginning going to be a losing battle as the pig business became industrialized. Never owned a cow, but have developed a real appreciation for the people who have persevered in the cow business. One of the few exhilarating things that are left to observe and appreciate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: A little too early to celebrate but it looks like maybe we're back in business growing and selli

Rg, I agree with your reply, I disagreed about your cattle enterprise  "taking chances with a Dem administration" yes in 2014 the stars lined up for a period where cow/calf people sold $3+ feedercattle to feeders that sold $170 fats and everyone made moo-lah.   And Obama just so happened to be in the white house, but don`t confuse the reason for the sunrise being the rooster crowing.   

With the 2014 blip, it wasn`t sustainable, just like $7 $8 corn couldn`t continue, supermarkets can`t peddle >$5 hamburger, so chicken and pork get market share. 

My argument against the WTO TPP TPA ect ect has always been the US takes in in the shorts everytime with these multilateral trade agreements.  We have moved to a lower wage service economy and the beef price is capped by Jiffy Lube wages, where as if employment was more Chevy, Dodge and Ford plants wages, then more "steak night out" could be afforded here domestically.  That union worker support used to be there from the Democrat party, but apparently getting cash from China is much more than the labor unions.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

Rg, I agree with your reply, I disagreed about your cattle enterprise  "taking chances with a Dem administration" yes in 2014 the stars lined up for a period where cow/calf people sold $3+ feedercattle to feeders that sold $170 fats and everyone made moo-lah.   And Obama just so happened to be in the white house, but don`t confuse the reason for the sunrise being the rooster crowing.   

With the 2014 blip, it wasn`t sustainable, just like $7 $8 corn couldn`t continue, supermarkets can`t peddle >$5 hamburger, so chicken and pork get market share. 

My argument against the WTO TPP TPA ect ect has always been the US takes in in the shorts everytime with these multilateral trade agreements.  We have moved to a lower wage service economy and the beef price is capped by Jiffy Lube wages, where as if employment was more Chevy, Dodge and Ford plants wages, then more "steak night out" could be afforded here domestically.  That union worker support used to be there from the Democrat party, but apparently getting cash from China is much more than the labor unions.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

actually it was a four year run of good prices/ exceptional prices/good prices/good prices. 

What has the go it alone policy of the last 4 ish years done ? It empowered China. It cut us out. 

https://www.piie.com/blogs/trade-and-investment-policy-watch/china-and-trans-pacific-partnership-or-...

Unions are dead. Your side killed them. End of story. If I had a nickel for every bash here at this site on unions I would have a substantial nest egg.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Unions killed unions which made cheaper labor available. Politicians said “have we got a deal for you?  And the technical revolution began in China not in the US.  The same political organizations that steal billions from US citizens every election year.  The criminals who claim their love of the environment is far more important than their love of their home country.  Greed for power 

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

If we had patriotic leadership, there wouldn`t be a need for unions, Trump was the only one that backed up his lip service with action and you see how he`s been rewarded.  The American people by a small (but growing) majority must like working at Dollar General and buying 60" flat screens at Walmart for $300.  Voting for promises of free health care and free two year community college and a $15 minimum wage...road to prosperity.  What ever happened to politicians just promising a "chicken in every pot" to get elected?  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

If we had patriotic leadership, there wouldn`t be a need for unions, Trump was the only one that backed up his lip service with action and you see how he`s been rewarded.  The American people by a small (but growing) majority must like working at Dollar General and buying 60" flat screens at Walmart for $300.  Voting for promises of free health care and free two year community college and a $15 minimum wage...road to prosperity.  What ever happened to politicians just promising a "chicken in every pot" to get elected?  Smiley Happy

Trump is partly owned by the Chinese dude.  So just on this thread I could have made 20 cents , a union bashing and three kudos for said post.   They used to work at packing plants and all kinds of good paying meaningful jobs.  But a lot of you guys were jealous that those townies were making good money and had some benefits. So, you enabled the packers to get rid of them. They replaced them with south of the border people that are just above slave labor. those packers keep them in line with threats of calling ICE. Don't ask for better wages or we will call ICE. Don't complain about working conditions or we will call ICE. Get hurt , don't ask us to pay for it or we will call ICE. No benefits , complain and get a visit from ICE. Just go to the emergency room and the taxpayer gets a tab.  Heck , a couple a times per month we will call ICE in just to scare you silent.   Then you guys have the gall to complain about the immigrant workers , and Trump hires them as well.   the subsidized conglomerates played you guys to a tee. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Reader

Amen...

0 Kudos