cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

A moment for wheat..... well maybe a couple of seconds.

Was the gluten free con this affective....... where does all that bread come from.... without wheat.?

We need to see something happen to help wheat..... the fringe needs to have alternatives so it can raise corn when we need it and raise wheat when corn prices are down..... 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteemed Advisor

Re: A moment for wheat..... well maybe a couple of seconds.

SW...the only problem is that you have to grow wheat cheaper than Ukraine and Russia...and since they

are living just above the starvation level...pretty sure you will lose on that one. This is a land price issue

(rent or value) that needs to adjust lower...but will not as long as a 2 bidders exist for each parcel with

no where else to put their excess cash flow.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

SW....you asked for a moment for wheat

We're you really asking for a moment of silence ?

Just got done looking at the weather data.

6-8 chances at precip thru mid March

Several were for ice and same number for

Snow.

Market plan ??

Some has not even come up, and really no

Moisture since planted.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

So right on so many levels.....

1.  We Need investment ....... So Time, does that mean our "higher" than ever stock market has as much hot air in it as the housing market a few years ago, making investors look for something else???  Are we still running on tech values where profits are not important?

I remember when the 90's tech boom pushed all companies to think they had to have a 30% return to draw investment> our traditional economy will soon be gone and home delivery is the only choice. 

Not exactly right on the Ukraine..... We will need to grow wheat much cheaper than them.... They are close to much of the market.... we have freight to pay where ever it goes.... The US consumer needs to consume russian or 8 yr old Chinese wheat and should, it sets our market so we should be eating it.

I'm doing my part , wheat local is planted by Ukrainian hands..... You can employ a degreed ukraine agronomist to handle wheat seeding and stay competitive a while longer.....  just an idea, to pass along.  The average wage for them in Ukraine is $350 a month.  If you can't move the factory out of the country, import the labor.  

land price issue.............sounds like fake value....

Time the logic here says that corn is too high priced, will hold on to 90m + acres and grind lower .........

We need to find a way to force the US market to pay more for the quality and convenience it enjoys.....  their getting to shop at Macy's while the rest of the world shops at a thrift store...but the "market" guarantees them thrift store prices.

Every segment of agriculture is forming monopoly positions except grain...... just a matter of "time".

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Amen
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Cheap,,,,,,,,,, for 35-40 years from the 60's well into the 90's we locally raised 30 to 45 bushel wheat and grazed it every winter.  good years and bad...

the last 20 years we occasionally raise 50 --10% of the time but mostly 20 or less 90% of the time........... I blame minimum till, notil,  disease encouraging farming practices, and it aint important because the less we raise the less it is worth..... it is a cattle problem now.  

I want to see US flour mills bringing ukraine wheat up the Mississippi since it is setting the market 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

SW don't you know that the imported wheat has more protein and fiber and minerals !!
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

And its probably gluten free and non GMO

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

these lows have happened many times in my 45 years of farming.  they seem to be a result of higher than normal prices which brings on more production which brings on lower prices and on and on and on. The real problem happens when crop inputs and machinery and land rent and land taxes go up but never come down. Then the squeeze is on. 

0 Kudos