Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

A secy of agriculture ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: A secy of agriculture ?

While DT was the top choice of farmers........farmers do not really have that many votes to worry about !!!!! Probably thats what its all about !!!!!

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Another great prospect that is a great promoter of ag is Bill Northey. 

Current  sec of Ag here in Iowa fourth generation active farmer. Still time and great people out there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Good choice in posting that here.  The Politburo over at the Forum doesn't recognize The Atlantic as a source.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

good article elcheapo,,,, some good thoughts there...

your right the forum needs more pictures...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

If Trump goes down the “wrong track” with agriculture personnel and policy, there could be political consequences, he said: “He should be very concerned that American agriculture might rise up against him"   Smiley Very Happy   What, all 1% of us?   We`re no longer American Gothic out here, those in their $75,000 King Ranch editions want the WOTUS stopped and EPA neutered and "let me farm!" ...Well, that`s cheap, and a easy vote in some districts. 

I`m not saying "Let me farm!" is wrong, but this business of getting a Secretary of Ag that`ll cut us all a fat check and happy days are here again is a dream.  We had 8 years of a Democrat in the white house and 8 years of a liberal Secretary of Ag, did Vilsack write any of you any big checks?  A couple years ago, I got a $80/acre check, while my seed costs were $110/acre...so who`s expecting that Trump will nominate one that will cut us bigger checks??? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Most farmers don't want a bigger check from Uncle Sam. It's just the opposite.  What they do want is someone who will work for them to get a bigger check for the products they produce.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Hey Roarin`, I agree it`s just when I see the lamenting about the lack of a secretary of agriculture, if they don`t want a check from Uncle Sam then are they just bashing Trump?  

But, if we want a sec of ag to be our cheerleader and get us higher prices, that`s fine.  But yesterday I was shown a similar US pork exports since NAFTA and the way the pork exports have increased, you`d think cash hogs would be $36/lb instead of 36¢/lb.  So we`ve signed deals and cheerlead to huge pork exports, one of the few bright spots in US trade and the pork producers are struggling.  It seems 1 year out of 5 are profitable, the latest profit in the pork business was due to the Pedv cutting the supply, it seems when a dollar is made, then the hog houses spring up like mushrooms.  I just use pork as an example because it seems to be a good one.

http://www.choicesmagazine.org/choices-magazine/theme-articles/emerging-issues-in-global-animal-prod...

image.pnghttp://www.choicesmagazine.org/UserFiles/file/Article5-Figure1_v1.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

BA, 

Is that a product of polixy or the change in the Pork industry itself?

In that time frame the ownership of the US hog inventory made nearly a complete change.  Foreign and exporting corporations took a strong position in ownership of the production......

I am not sure policy or trade deals made that much difference in international trade..  

And the price of pork in the US ---36 cents--- doesn't reflect the export revenue.

---------------------------------------

I get the feeling that hiding international trade profits has been driving the "global" initiative all along.

0 Kudos