cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: "As it gets closer", yesterday....

I would sincerely hope not and don't have any doubt that most farmers' votes have been purchased and put on layaway.

In fairness, farmers have been deftly backed into a corner, although actual farmers are a tiny electoral demo.

Those are some pretty expensive votes to have to buy with "the grandkids'" money.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

So the senile old guy and the Kamala Harris clone he picks as a running mate can tell rural America to "stick it!" and count on New York, California and Illinois for electors?   The Scranton housewife going to the supermarket and in the first time in her 32 years sees empty spaces in the meat counter, I predict most Americans will see "America Needs Farmers" and truckdrivers and everyone that does "Mike Rowe" type jobs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I’m in favor of moving to the free market including vigorous anti-trust actions.

Farmers do deserve support in the present mess and a fair shot at adjusting in a farm program that transitions to the free market.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

For 30 years I`ve been hearing "this is the last farm bill" and if my Dad was here he`d tell you about the "soil bank" in the 50`s or whatever that was the "last farm bill" after 70 years of this, can we really have a "free market" in farming?   

I`ve said this hundreds of times, but John Deere is successful, if they aren`t selling tractors, the close the factory, they made great snowmobiles in the 70`s but quit, I suppose they weren`t profitable and let Polaris have the market...they didn`t beat a dead horse hoping to win the Kentucky Derby.  Farmers don`t operate that way and some of them are doing just fine right now and if a neighboring quarter came up for sale, they wouldn`t think twice throwing $10,000 $12,000/acre bids on it.  On the other side of that there are guys financing the 2020 crop on credit cards because no banker would touch them.

I would say have a voluntary price support program in exchange for a set a side and just figure that it would be a permanent farm program.  Maybe limit it to the first $200,000 gross income or something along those lines.  Or rip the Bandaid off quickly and turn rural America into Lord of the Flies.  ..."herd immunity agriculture"   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Spokes publication for “real ‘murcins” Breitbart News out with their survey this morning saying that 40% of Parents say they will home school this fall. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Was hearing that last night in a Zoom meeting concerning re-opening plans for our church. While I imagine there are virtually no hard core The Base sorts of people in our church (congregations self-select over time) I don't regard most of the parents as real crunchy types either.

BTW, the consensus is that we're in no hurry. Hard to know how the future goes or what to make of this but the very well produced video service gets twice the views of average weekly attendance.

Not, however, translating through to the offering. I assume that many people will honor their pledges eventually but just haven't bothered to mail a check or use the Venmo option.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: Just a note, New York is starting a phased re-opening with the four regions who...

Just a note, New York is starting a phased re-opening today with the four regions that met the metrics developed by John Hopkins School.  Couldn't help but note that it wasn't CDC developed guidance. 

The governor here has taken the politics completely out of the decision.  You meet the metrics, you get to open and/or proceed to the next phase, fail and you're back to zero. 

Just out of curiosity, I called the county health dept, they are holding free testing clinics every couple of days for essential workers, including farmers & farmworkers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Just a note, New York is starting a phased re-opening with the four regions who...

BTW, under our state funding formula a school district facing a sharp drop in enrollment is probably better off closed.

A feature rather than a bug, though, for those who want to destroy all remnants of civil society including public education.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Federal education has pretty well destroyed "public" education.....

And lets be honest..... the large increase in home schooling (which I also think is a big mistake), came because of the federal takeover of education.  In KS the state confiscated local funding for education several years ago.

Those two events ballooned the private and home schoolling movements.  

This great education system now has the fanciest facilities to accomplish what the federal government does to everything.  Hand out lunches for the poor....... Congress has corrupted everything down to a welfare service.  Teaching those poor children to depend on Congress for everything.... that is the US education system.

Home schooling, as bad as it is, is probably better than what we have.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Except for those children of the elite ruling class,,, who have all the advantages money can buy, and a guarantee from congress they will always be better educated than average children in the US.  

0 Kudos