cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

A very wet Aug

Anyone out there care to share their August rain totals?  We had our wettest Aug that I can remember ever.  Had 2.62" last night to round out the month with a 11.15" total.  Our average for Aug is 4.13".

Field ponds are full again, tiles are running full blast--A dry Sept. will be needed or harvest mud will prevail.

An interesting observation,  last year we had our driest Aug. at .18" for the month.  This year was our wettest at 11.15".  Beans last year made 40bu. this year 50+. CIA  

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: A very wet Aug

Wind, we ended up with only 9 tenths of an inch on my farm for the month of August. Soybeans on my farm will struggle to make 35 bu average. Lots of empty bean pods blowing in the wind here today. Our August average is around 3.5 inches here on the Michigan Indiana line.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We got another 1.2 inches  saturday and sunday, wettest aug. i have ever seen. >17 inches.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

A grand total of just under 0.25 inches in August in the southern Willamette Valley. July was 0.37 inches. June was 1.29 inches. Good thing we have irrigation!
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

About 30 miles north of South Bend, IN.  This is approximate, because I didn't write it down.   We had a couple of 4/10" rains earlier in the month, plus some showers here and there that didn't make 1 day's evaporation rate.  Then, 1.2" last Monday/Tuesday, and then, about 1.6" last Friday/Saturday.  Over 1.25" of that event came in about half an hour last Saturday evening.  South Bend NOAA weather radio got .27" last Saturday.  I think they were over 1.5" below normal for August, following 2.21" below normal for July. And, most of the July rain came in the first couple days of the month.  We're back in good shape now to finish beans and late-planted corn, moisture-wise.  We haven't been able to bale anything the past 2 weeks, and this week doesn't look much better. 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Will have to check with my neighbor wind - they live right next door and he keeps the totals - but boys it has been wet here to - I do know that last week we had 3 plus inchs and the week before a inch - it's pouring here now - were under a flood advisory for now - news said radar showed 3 inchs with another ? 2 to come today . Tried to cut road sides last Thursday -- key word " tried " - had water sitting in the ditchs and then backed into a corner - came out with mud on fronts and rears - lol 

HAve a field day coming up - may have to issue life jackets to get to plots - Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Advisor

1989 we had 17" from 8/1 through 9/17. Then it turned dry except for a brief heavy wet snow in mid-Oct,lol. 70 the next day.

Relatively late planted beans with slow veg growth were disappointing. Aug rain makes beans except when soils remain saturated and nodules die.

However worth noting that was a local outcome, macro yield was OK as I recall.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Ding, ding, ding

We have a winner.  (Looser in reality)

Moisture total

About 9 inches from local rain and two 3 1/2 foot upriver rain flood events.

Total 93" 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Ding, ding, ding

ECIN 'ol buddy nice try ... no cigar.

A little mud on the tires?

A life jacket?

Come on here, It's just a heavy dew if you don't have to issue a Ski Doo with every admission to the field.

up river 2.JPG

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Ha! I can't compete with that! That's too much even for rice! Which gives me an idea....I'll post some photos of our wild rice farmers here in Oregon. That business is doing pretty good after a lengthy learning curve.....
0 Kudos