cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Re: Can you guess?

Right now a Volt has a 3 year lease at $270 a month for 3yr/36,000 miles with around $2500 up front.  I can't own much of a car for that. If you do much driving you'll get $100 savings on gas, If you drive 3000 mi/month you'd potentially save a lot more.

It's NOT a light car. Very solid. But it is a 4 seat compact. Heavier than my Intrepid.

Battery is guaranteed for 8/yrs and 100,000 miles. I've read engineers saying that the way the battery is used it should go at least 150,000 w/o significant degradation. By that time batteries are supposedly going to cheaper and have greater capacity. That's why I did the lease.

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Re: ACE reaction to EPA decision

I always like to point out how big oil tells everyone that ethanol is subsidized and should be subject to free market forces. Yet in the same **bleep** breath they have taken proporionately more government money to increase oil production. Frauds/ con artists. Sounds about right?
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Thanks Palouser,

I have been looking at them.  The Prius is cheaper but has less battery capacity, the way I read it.

That lease is hard to beat.  Gm is hard to go back to.

We don't spend much on auto transportation.

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I made a vow not to go back to GM some years ago after buying a PU. However, I'm stunned at the engineering prowess displayed for the Volt. It is a complex car in some ways if you try and understand how it really works - having little to do with the driving experience. The spared nothing developing this technology and the integration of it all. I've not detected one flaw so far. There is an active owners forum where people compare notes and try and 'game' the technology. It's amazing how few complaints and problems are reported. I believe it has the highest owners satisfaction of any car except maybe the Tesla, highest crash worthiness, etc.

Apparently they gave the egineers an open budget and didn't interfere with the project. Some of the engineers came from the first electric project that GM built who's name I forget. So, they knew the issues. It even has forged aluminum suspension components. When my lease is up I expect the battery technology will have advance a long ways. And the car will be lighter and cheaper with more capabilities.

I understand why big oil is worried in N America.

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

You surprised me.  I always thought the Volt was DOA because it's high cost.  You seem to be making it work with the lease.  I actually saw a Volt next to me at a traffic light the other day, and it did not look like the"space ship" the pics often made it look like.  Ford makes a "plug in hybrid"  called the C-Max.  My son, who flies model airplanes, comments that the batteries and engines are getting better all the time.  Longer run time, smaller and more powerful.  Same for cars?

What who happen if Volt made the roof a solar collector?  You just might regain your 120MPG!Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I guess the engineers said solar cells in the roof wouldn't contribute enough to make it worthwhile. I think the Prius runs a small fan off solar cells to change the air in the cabin to keep it from getting so hot in the summer in the sun. I thnk it will be a few years yet before there is a big leap in batteries but I expect it to happen. But it's a little disorienting to pass 3 cars going over 60 mph and when you get to the third you're doing 100! Not using the engine. Electric has near constant torque and makes no noise so it doesn't seem right unless you look at the speedo. No gear changing (in fact - no transmission).

The other weird thing is when you jump in it from another vehicle it's not unusual to have a momentary brain freeze and think - 'now what am I supposed to do?'

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

PS - I guess it's running between 360-430V 3 phase. BIG orange cables.

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

Hi Palouser,

You have an "Obama Pinto?"

I was thinking that I'd like to have one just to see if I could get my FIL to faint from apoplexy.

I suppose it's the double whammy of it being a government motors product and the absurd notion that cars run on anything but good old gasoline, and plenty of it.

Had actually always wondered why somebody didn't take the diesel electric locomotive  propulsion concept into autos, which they did. Although I guess there's something to be said for regenerative braking recapture, too.

I'm cheap to the core so haven't been able to make it work on a pencil out basis. Parts runnin' Metro still goes but I hate to think what its probably putting out the tailpipe after all these years.

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I saw a Studebaker 1905 (6?) electric horseless carraige in Jerome, AZ that has regenerative braking. It had still the tiller, no steering wheel.

The Volt engineering was started in 2006 and basically production ready by 2008 but GM then had to wait for battery development to catch up to the concept. Perhaps they used that time to perfect the programming and what not because it is rock solid. I think FAUX News was responsible for the idea that the bail out funded the Volt, which wasn't the case. it just suited their ideology and confused people about how it works and what the battery capability is. But, that's their job.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the climate control has too many options and is a bit obscure about how it works and what mode is best under different conditions. They need to simplify that.

0 Kudos
hardnox604008
Advisor

You are correct about Murdoch News Network. and FIL's disdain is thus derived.

I actually worry a little about his health when they get him stirred up, which is pretty much daily as best I can tell.

0 Kudos