cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

ANYONE ELSE HAVING TEST WEIGHT ISSUES

Had a record yield but very low test weight 50 to 53 # this if wide spread will make a big crop smaller ...right?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: ANYONE ELSE HAVING TEST WEIGHT ISSUES

Had just the opposite F4F, I'm not talking corn but milo was weighing 61-62.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Had a record yield but very low test weight 50 to 53 # this if wide spread will make a big crop smaller ...right

F4F  - I think you answered your own question here - You had a record yield - Right ? But with low test weight ?

So the volumn of your crop made up the diff .  Test weight is just a measure of volumn - like in a bin - it will hold 20,000 at 56 lb test -

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Ecin. You are kinda right and wrong. TW is just a measure of volume, and we sell weight so bushels are bushels because our system is flawed and standardized

That said the efficiency of that bushel of low test weight corn can be lowered. Thus that record harvest and volume with get sucked at a higher rate due to lower efficiencies. So it does negate some of those extra bushels because it will take more.

Not sure what our corn was weighing as we haven't taken any to our buyers yet. But based on the cart weights going into bins we have stuffed as much or more bushels into bins than we ever have and printed some cart weights like we never have. So I'm guessing it weighing crazy good for us
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

That is correct .The amount ov bushells is arrived by dividing weight  by so many lbs.of certain grains by---- lbs, so the heaver the grain the more bushels.We raise Food grade and rerular no.2, haul with same trucks, always, always have more corn,more bushels on higher test weight corn than lower test weight corn same volume.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

That said the efficiency of that bushel of low test weight corn can be lowered. Thus that record harvest and volume with get sucked at a higher rate due to lower efficiencies. So it does negate some of those extra bushels because it will take more.

I totally agree Mizzou with your statement , I guess - what I was trying to say - is he had a record yield - even thuo TW was down - Just think IF we do set a record corn crop - what would it have been IF all tw's were ? say 60 + a bu.  I have heard of some lighter  tw around here - I did haul in 10 that I didn't have room for and the tw was running 58 to 59 - Had one load at 57 . , So not to bad

Have a good one

Ken

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Others have covered this in one way or another but just to point out that we calculate yield by weight.

Lower test weight just impacts price if you are discounted in price for that lowerr grade.

Your record yield in weight will not cause the crop to be smaller.

If you are talking bushells, a volume measure, it really does not make any difference going over the scales.

It is much simpler to forget the old bushel measure and just work with scale weights in tonnes/tons.

Really a lot simpler with tonnes because then it is in the measure used for export too and is a simple unit to use to make feed etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Some of those million bushel piles might only have 950,000 when cleaned up,alot of bins might be 500 bushels short for every 10,000 normally in them.Back when I raised hogs we had a year of lightweight corn and I think the protein level was low,had to mix in a little extra soybean meal every time I ground feed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

YES tw issues and damage issues.

Had some of my flood damaged corn graded yesterday for insurance adjustments.

Guy doing the grading stated they are getting a lot of corn in with a 4% damage right from the field on the good high ground. 

Said that left them with no margin for spoilage in their big piles. 

I have three classes of corn here.

Hold over 13 and six thousand bu of #2 grading corn from this year

Most this year's harvested bu' s graded 18% damage ... Will be blended down, May take some of next year's corn for that trick.

Then there is a few thousand bu for cattle feed that graded 47% damage and 51.1 tw (no clue how insurance is going to handle that)

The really bad stuff is still in the field. Most likely to be destroyed.

Did I mention "OH JOY"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I guess my point is I was expecting a much bigger yield based on stand counts and ear size but with the test weight being so low we only beat the record by 2 bu per acre instead of 30 bu per acre . If USDA was planning on 170 bu national average at 55 plus TW and it comes in with 50# that is hudge .....see my point

0 Kudos