cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Accountability

Accountability - there is none.  Even here, on the Ag Online site, there are those who are asking for my banishment, yet there are others that are allowed to spread dangerous hear-say and rumors, and nothing is said.

This morning, Ebola is now yesterday's news.  Nigeria, the hot bed of Ebola, has been declared Ebola free.  NONE of the people who had been isolated in Texas came down with Ebola, and some of these were Duncans own family, who surely had contact with this individual.  If this virus was spread by airborne means, and that contagious, all these people would've been infected.  

Now comes the accountability.  Instead of banishing me (for telling the truth) and because of the panic furor that these individuals were attempting to spread for their own personal gains, the participants that were spreading the rumor, especially by indicating that they had "inside knowledge", should be banned from this site.  I am willing to give this another week for this Ebola thing to run it's course, but I personally want those involved with perpetuating the lie on this site, removed.  

I'll say what I said a few weeks ago - these people were irresponsible in what they were putting out.  They were contributing to hysteria and a panic that was not warrented.  Allowing it to stand here, in this case, would be just as irresponsible as the people who were perpetuating the lie.

Jen 

0 Kudos
24 Replies
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Accountability

Accountability??  or retribution    or ego mending   ------------- get a grip

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

OK - I guess my time here is done.  Take care all....

Jen

0 Kudos
425Cat
Advisor

Jen

Feel free to keep posting . Just emotionally disconnect yourself with some of the questionable posters on here and you will be fine.
0 Kudos
northnd
Senior Contributor

Jenny,

Valued your thoughts and opinions on everything from climate, weather, to ebola.  I have not agreed with everything, but valued the discourse.

What in the world has happened to our society that people cannot have discourse on a subject, agree or disagree and move on.  Thoughts and opinions are just that.  They can be held steadfast or change with more information on a subject.  This has permeated our society to the effect our governmental system is basically paralyzed. 

I really hope you can put aside those few who grind your gears, and keep on keeping on. 

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Sounds like "my way or the highway", but the OP is doing the walking.

This site does a pretty good job of driving out those with differing opinions, and one's man truth is another man's lie.  Or, as the old Indian said, "what you see depends on where you stand".

If anyone is thinking of leaving, maybe the thing to do is to quetly leave and see if they'd like to come back later.  Burning bridges is often not the way to leave if one ever wants to return.

I note in particular, that this site has driven off every academic who has ever posted, with the occasional exception.  It has driven off the the experts from Shop and Machinery Talk.  It drove off the very useful CPA who use to post on tax issues in Farm Business.

The differnece between free expression and personal attacks is a pretty murky one,sometimes.  The bottom line is that anyone who posts on here opens themselves up to attack, fair or not.  The chances of anyone playing fair seems to be low.

Tags (1)
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Jim, unfortunately the other site is getting just as bad.................censorship is getting worse...........granted there is some driftwood that needs to be weeded out.................but IMO this site lets a lot of crap slide

Jen, lighten up and keep on keeping on..............I would like to continue to see your weather stuff..............

note to site mods here................be nice if it was easier to post and see things, this site takes a lot of power to load up and post and is harder to navigate than others out there...............also, an easy way to post pics from smartphone would be handy too........

0 Kudos
vrbuck
Advisor

Go back to the pre 2008 site because it was easier to deal with.
0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

It's not personal it's business
0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Stick to facts that are supported by reliable sources that can be cited as much as possible and there shouldn't be an issue.

For instance, on Ebola. Nigeria has NOT been a 'hot bed' of ebola. It had some cases and deaths from a few who arrived in the country from outside, and a few who contracted it mainly from dealing with those patients. Those associated with the disease were monitored or tracked down and contained. Nigeria is Africa's largest country by population and is fairly chaotic with large urban areas so there WERE fears. The counter measures worked there. Liberia and Sierra Leone did not have the organization or health workers to contain their outbreaks except on one area that IS organized.

Always be sure you have the sources for factual information and be prepared to present them. Most will understand you are a reliable source of information.