cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

After reading what's available on wind damaged crops, ....

After reading what Mike pointed to (and other sources) what's available on wind damaged crops (corn) and looking at the pictures posted, I suspect that while there will be losses, they won't be as bad as some are saying.

However, talking to my grain broker, he says there's more damage to the soybean crop than corn crop but no pictures on the internet. Meanwhile, it's the price of soybeans that has risen sharply.

Anyone have any information to offer  on soybean crop damage in Iowa?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tree fmr
Advisor

Re: After reading what's available on wind damaged crops, ....

3C22E2E3-0F6A-48FA-AE3A-B052FFAF75F5.jpeg

Corn that is still standing looks horrible when you walk thru it. Some damage to beans but overall they still look very good. Beans mostly stood back up within a couple of days. 

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

https://www.agweb.com/article/iowa-corn-losses-predicted-decrease-us-yield-average-4-bpa

Vidio with pictures and commentary 

The more damage to beans than corn is total B.S.

The beans need a rain, dry feet not wind will be their story.

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

In my area (Eastern Dallas Co.) I see almost no damage to the beans.  As Hobby is trying to tell us the beans in Iowa are in need of a drink and a drink is not in the forecast for the next 7 days or more.  We have always been told that rain in Aug is needed to make a good bean crop.  We did receive 3/4 of an inch of rain with that wind storm ( 1/2 inch gauged the other 1/4 inch, estimated, blown over the top.)

My corn and other corn that was blown down is looking worse by the day.  It was "shocked" by the wind and some of it is dying, turning brown and not just the corn that is on the ground.  There are not enough corn reels around to help rake the corn in nor time enough to build new ones and what will you have for quality if you can get those ears into the combine?  

The nature of this wind event (Derecho) was very powerful.  My son had a row of 30 foot tall Colorado Blue Spruce trees and the wind snapped one completely off 7 feet from the ground.  An other farmer lost some Cedar trees, snapped off. Those trees are planted to break the wind, but this wind broke them.  It seems to me that those down drafts hit the ground and then raced east at a very high rate of speed with the greater speed and damage close to the ground or at least lower altitudes.   It was and "act of God" and yes, "wind does make us humble."