Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Alfalfa?

Are there many fields in tuff shape?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Alfalfa?

Had temps sub 0 last week, I'd imagine not to many are in good shape this week.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

What year was the last that this cold of an event happened?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Ray - Here in Indiana it was 1994 -  I'm talking - 31  or so back then - had 3 days last this week  with -20 or so and wind chills or - 40 to 50 , so it's been awhile .

0 Kudos
Advisor

Snow cover will protect. I hear the same things about wheat that need translates into lost acres. I find it's a regional thing year after year. My bil in the east has trouble w winter wheat overwintering and so he can't grow it. But alfalfa does alright for a little while. Too much ice. He's in an area where your playing Russian roulette with winterkill.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The toughest things on alalfa are temps going back and forth between freezing and thawing, and being covered in ice. Both usually happen closer to spring. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

If the crop stays dormant not much to worry about.  But, we received rain in Jan, not good, could cause ice sheets, which kill Alfalfa. Also, a extended warm spell now, then cold again, bad news. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Alfalfa should fine in this area[ Nort. Cent. Wi.] Excellent snow cover before cold arrived and added another 6" to 8" last nite.  John

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

How are your snowmobile trails up there? Down by Madison they were only open for about a week. We had about 6 inches but it was so fluffy there was nothing to make a base out of.

0 Kudos