cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Almost Home

Just crossing the IA border for heading for Cannon Falls. Does anyone know what happened with the grain bin collapse at an elevator just North of Story City right along I35? Looks like it might have been a mess.

Saw several combines out doing beans - I didn't think they looked that great from the road. But I have get-home-itis, I didn't take time to stop.

Jen
0 Kudos
4 Replies
425Cat
Advisor

Re: Almost Home

Wonder where you been Jen . Wish you would have stopped for some yield checks
0 Kudos
giolucas
Veteran Advisor

Would that have made an impact on the market?
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

I was too busy this last week, between getting ready to come home, and the students. We graduated 15 of our class of 16 this week. We lost 1 guy who had been in the military. He got a 0 on on his second scenario. It just fell apart for him. If he had gotten ten points, he would've passed if he had gotten just 10 points.

I was watching the frost issue on the way north on I35. I didn't see a lot of leaves hanging on the beans as I came North. To me, along 35, without going in the fields, I didn't see frost damage from the road - ie. leaves hanging on the brown bean plants. There was noticeable frost damage to the top 2 feet or so on a lot of the corn fields, especially as I crossed the IA border Northbound. The low areas of the corn fields were not just frosted. In many of these fields, the cold was a kill.

The best beans I saw? Again, from the road, was right here by Cannon Falls. Most of the beans I saw today were short, and I saw very little filling in of the 30 inch rows. It looked like mainly the stem in most of these fields. But beans can surprise you.

It's hard to stop and look at fields when you're driving a motorhome. But, the visibility is great and your up higher so you get a better view overall. Southern IA is really wet, with a LOT of damage to infrastructure. Madison county looked liked it was really hard hit. Construction areas are quagmires. The rivers are running brown. Ditches are washed out, and they can't get in there to fix it. Hobby was certainly right this spring when his forefathers predicted the flooding.

I still think the jury is out as far as the bean crop goes. We'll see.

It was a great trip up today. The bulk of the monarch migration was moving through northern MO, where we saw quite a few per mile heading south.

I'm going to look at a few crops around here tomorrow. Monday I'm heading over to Central WI to get some work done on the motorhome, and we're adding 3 solar panels to the roof.

I'll try and check back in later this weekend.

Jen

0 Kudos
rockhill17
Contributor

Started cutting beans yesterday - yields are coming in way above average.  Lots of beans in the 50s when we usually are happy with mid 40s.  I'm coming around to the idea of there being a huge bean crop out there.  I've gotten many yield reports and haven't heard of one yet under 50 - and many of these are late planted beans that were put in under less than ideal conditions.  Corn - I still don't think it will be very good - average at best. 

0 Kudos