cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

And poof it is gone.

'Ol Ma Nature has the trump cards.

http://www.soybeansandcorn.com/news/Jul7_21-202021-Brazil-Safrinha-Corn-12-Harvested-Cold-Temps-Worr...

Kind of like here and the rain event, misty light drizzle this AM,  Didn't even settle the dust and poof it was gone.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Wind
Advisor

Re: And poof it is gone.

We gauged .17 for the day.  The weather prediction center had us in for 3" for the  next 7 days.  I checked that an hour ago and they back the amount to 1.5".  Our water needle is near zero here in Central IA.  I saw a spot in a bean field "melting down" yesterday.  I'll try to report totals Sat.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Wind you win, twice what we got.

Our moisture needle is a little higher up though, but a half to 3/4 would soak in easily enough.

Anybody think this propaganda piece has any credibility?  Might come at the price of  more soy imports for them but less volume to handle through the ports?

Many beans around here look less than robust.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/chinas-farmers-dump-other-crops-corn-bumper-profit-pull-2021-07-...

Anybody wantta use his HARVEST method?

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

I certainly wouldn’t believe any propaganda coming out of China.

No news comes out of China that China hasn’t put out themselves or at least “allowed” to come out. 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Here in NCIA we got a little over 1.5" just in time rain.  I drove through rain down to Waterloo, but highway 20 south of Jesup it shut off like a switch and dusty gravel roads.  What`s funny is corn looks basically good all over.  Those of us who still put up hay know how dry it`s really been, there`ll be a hay shortage, yet a near trendline corn yield (God willing) this corn must really be bred up to handle drought, where the orchard grass in a hay mix hasn`t.  See a few tassels shooting in spots of fields.

This from my Mother inlaw in Scott county

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Hobby, ----- what are the chances we have sold all the corn we have available to china(and others) and we will finish the year buying that frozen low quality trash corn from Brazil to feed our market?

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

SW,

In all truthfulness, very nearly ZERO.

AS what has become the norm, some SA corn will find it's way into the east coast.

They presold something they didn't have even planted and will have some to export early in their crop cycle.

Their crop is by no means a zero, just appears from reports to be greatly reduced.

I don't know what they are going to do with 45# and down yellowish chaff. My guess is local cattle feed.

They have very little capacity to dry wet grain.

It is not exportable because it would not make the trip. Would be a hot blue green chunk in the ship's hold. No way it could make any kind of grade with enough value to even pay the freight.

I'm not seeing any urgency on grain buyers to scramble to get supplies.

We very likely have a billion bu over supply. Some is just not where it is used. Basis will adjust if need be in deficient areas.

Corn harvest starts in less than 30 days here in this country in Texas.

Getting to seem like a giant game of "whack a mole" in the grain market, I'm just trying to not be the mole.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Becoming apparent, "Houston we have a problem"

http://www.soybeansandcorn.com/news/Jul9_21-Safrinha-Corn-in-Mato-Grosso-do-Sul-Impacted-by-Drought-...

Corn looks above average as a whole, quite a bit of unevenness in tasseling. Some fields will have a 2 week spread from first to last tassel. Too wet and too cool twice since planting.

Beans mostly short with a few exceptions down here in the Podunk section of Ioway.

As always weather is a first topic of conversation down here.

Two nice little showers this am. Hope we avoid the biggies this afternoon.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Back at the heart of the US today .....Kanopolis Kansas.   

There is still some potential but the drive from here to there says a couple of things about kansas.  The rain has been slight and spotty,,,, by the time we got to dodge city dry land crops were struggling and grass was browning like august.

wetish at the top of the panhandle but east is dryer....

Biggest thing I confirmed on this trip is acres in kansas of corn continue to decline....    water reserves continue to decline, and profitable alternatives exist ........ corn acres are less than half what it was a few years ago.   

Wheat harvest is struggling along in sw where some rain was noticed the last two weeks but nearly done otherwise up into the northern counties.  

0 Kudos