Wind
Advisor

Re: Another March in the drought

Amazing!  Another dust bowl coming?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Sorry I am slow ----------- photo was taken just south of us in the Okla. Panhandle region and could have been taken on three different days this last week.  I think this one was taken on Tuesday.  I borrowed it from a twitter user that defined it as Okla.  and I recognized the location.

We were chisseling wheat stubble from last years crop not too far from that location.  We are loosing the fallow ground first because last years wheat stubble was so poor it will not stand the wind that is a part of the climate of the area.  We are productive in spite of it because of the development of no till and chemical fallow.  We save every stitch of stubble we can to handle the wind.  We are seeing a few 2014 wheat fields being chiseled  West of us and north the wheat is either frozen out or in a severe state of drought.  Even local wheat has mite insect pressure pressure that comes with dry conditions.  brown and dying areas are visible west of a line south from Dodge City.  North of Dodge and Garden City it all looks bad and I saw wheat being worked three weeks ago up there.  The following photo was taken east of Hooker, Okla. ---- the field was green two weeks ago.  High wind pulls surface moisture from the soil and without subsoil moisture things don't last long.

IMG_0483.jpg

Picture was taken not far from the dust picture and shows the result of two days of 60+mph wind

Let me make a simple statement that encompasses the reality we face.  "In the dust bowl years of the 1930's  we had only three years below 15 inches of rain, the lowest being 13, and they were not consecutive.  We just finished a year at 12 inches which followed a year at  8 inches , behind a year at 6.5 inches.  That is three years without a dry land crop for cover to hold the ground." -----our normal is 20 and in the 30's there were 3 years above normal.  We have been nearly 12 years since we have seen a normal.

We have been in a "dust bowl" the last few years only saved by great farming practices and irrigation on 30% of the area.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

There are native pastures in the area that have not had a cow on them in over 3 years and the grass continues to deteriate.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Except for the reality it represents, I thought that dust picture was a great photo.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Reviewing the tweets where this was spotted, I see Max armstrong refering it to the Texas Panhandle -------- and I don't find the original copy I saw.--------------- So I should be in music detention for not being accurate on the location if that is right. That would be several miles south of the highway I thought it was.  

Actually it could have been taken in an area 200 miles by 120 miles wide on Tuesday of last week.

or Saturday evening or today and tomorrow.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

try to fix my mistake with some pics from our fields ---- thanks to "kansas farmer" on twitter.

BieaYnDCYAAr7yo.jpg

Two years of wheat stubble -- no-til   Marking it up to stop blowing

Bie44u9CEAAAwzM.jpgBieQJK1IAAMDDGv.jpg

Moisture made it look better this time...  Had 5 inches of our 12 last year in September.  Would rather have saved it than sacrafice it to the March winds.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Jed Stivers  Thank you for questioning the location and state ------ Made me check my source on it -------- and my partners had better ones to show as well.

One of our bosses is "kansas farmer" on twitter.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Might be bitter sweet SW, but love those straight rows even if it is for conservation purposes.

On a different note, took a trip from Central Kansas down to Wichita on Saturday, all I can say is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. We didn't need to get to far southeast of our location before we ran ino nice moisture, and all the crops look great. Water standing in the low areas of fields and also ponding in the road ditches. My location isn't as bad as yours, but I'm no where close to as green as Southeast Kansas either. I'll say an extra prayer for rain and have my son (spring break this week) do 5 days of his famous rain dances. If we see a snake, I'll even tie it to the fence. Have a good one.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

BhwBxtZCYAEOLQs.jpg

One week before and -6 F.   ------- 1/2 inch of snow ----- Kansas Farmer's quote "not sure the wheat appreciated this 1/2 inch of snow with -6F the next morning.  " 

0 Kudos
Jed Stivers
Senior Contributor

26.5" in three years is unreal. I just can't get my mind around how y'all survive. We get double that every year. In 2011 we had 2/3's of the farm under water. A lot of it was over 20' deep, Some pivots right beside me went compelety under. Had smaller floods the other years. We prol waste more water than y'all use to make a crop on.
0 Kudos