cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Another March in the drought

bad on west side of state,   I think it is better east so far.  I haven' been able to travel that way this spring.  But the west third is irrigated only at this point.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

SW, I'm not trying to kick you while your down, but I've got mixed emotion when it comes to irrigation. Maybe it was the abuse that was done years ago that I'm dwelling on, but you remember what they say about first impressions. I believe there was a very active thread on this topic not so long ago.

Now on the flip side, thank goodness you all have some irrigation out your way to somewhat help soften the blow. I'll admit, I'm as green as green can be when it comes to discussing the topic but guess what side of the pro/con spectrum gets discussed at the cooperative coffee round table in my area.

Now, let's all pray for rain.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

No Shaggy, I am with you on concern.  But is the mineral and water under the surface the property of the owner?  Private property rights leave the choice to the owner.  Just like leasing it out for oil and gas or whatever else can be mined from that acreage.

We(kansas) are in the process of converting much of our irrigation back to dry land and the production methods that exist favor that change -------- The drought is making that tough.  If you can't raise crops you can't raise cover, and without cover no-til is a bad choice.  

Here's one you can loose sleep over ------ I do.

We manage land for dry land owners who haven't had a crop to sell for three years, and irrigated owners who have seen a couple of their best years ever.  I want each one have good results.

Some of those dry land owners did not want to use their water for irrigation ------- A noble decision ---------- at the time.

0 Kudos