cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Another day another lower market

The question is how many market days do we have
Untill we have to pay someone to take the
Grain (remember basis .so you take off more)

That day is closer than you think.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Another day another lower market

Had crop adjuster out this morning to measure bins of left over crops. 

Said he's been doing lots of verification of old crop left in storage, mostly corn. Lots left here in fly over territory according to the man climbing the bins.

If your right, it's got a composting value more than paying to have removed from the farm.

He was very close to what I thought I had in reserve.

Had a former bto tell me last night everyone was losing at least $100 an acre on corn around here @ $3.20 bu. Well the numbers are all still there just rearranged, $3.02 at the close today.  Going to be slim pickings for Christmas at many growers houses at this rate.

An article I read said many foreclosures on the horizon the next five years based on bankers surveys.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

$2.94 here in the heartland.  A very strong week for bean harvesting.  A few more days around here and the bean harvest will be history.  Lots of corn to go yet. Light rain here this evening, looks good for next week as far as harvest weather.  Picked up some deer meat down your way last week, nice color in those trees.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

There will not be so many foreclosures, but there will be an increased number of "retirement sales".  Smiley Happy

We old farmers are going to exit the stage at some time in the next decade or so, anyway.

The deal is, you can live on your own foregone rent check for quite a while if you own the ground free and clear.  

0 Kudos
Advisor

The question is how long can the case be made that people will starve if they don't subsidize 5000 acre farms?

The real answer is they won't, they'll just be 20% fewer but 6000 acre farms. The ground will get farmed.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Markets go up and down, but I don't think we'll have a negative price.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

well I've seen 8 cent hogs  (and it was not in the early 1900's........and I've seen elevators that told people not to haul to them,

they were buying more grain

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

Ah yes, and the brilliant ag lobby industry (FB, NCGA, Beaners, NPPC, et al) have decided that all we

need in the farm bill is status quo. 

No attempt to fix crop ins   (unlimited subsidy and use of County T yield to pay for horrific management by out of county operators, also no attempt to link the subsidy to best management practices)

No attempt to use CRP and CREP to get HE lands back in to pasture. (and out of ins subsidized corn/soy production)

No attempt to force high yield farm fertility programs to pay for the catastrophic nutrient discharge into the rivers/streams.

(read Suc Farming Oct 2017 "Yield Quest" - adding N to soybeans on soil that already discharges massive amounts of N into the river is just a brilliant strategy. Couple that with fall tillage and excellent drainage. It is like letting the power plants stop using their scrubbers because it is more efficient not to use them. Stop kidding yourself, we are the ones killing the gulf of mexico, and as usual, the ag media just loves to drive the lunacy of it all, just to grow some more bushels of $9 beans and $3 corn, would be hilarious if it weren't so short-sighted. 

Yep, just give us our $5 Bil a year and leave us alone. Kind of like putting an oil guy in charge of EPA....oh....never mind...

0 Kudos