cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Another weekend of uncertainty and sad news.....

Nothing lasts forever so hug those closest to you and find something to rely on that lasts longer than an election cycle.

Goodbye Mr. Rogers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2aQHwg33Uw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJGZt3X6uU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj37IhZDokY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GVr1l7Xbko

8 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Another weekend of uncertainty and sad news.....

One of the great ones.

k-289
Senior Advisor

Mr.  Rogers  come  to  mind ,  Beautiful  Day  In  The  Neighborhood ,  also  - - - 

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

another song that I can never hear enough times is "Mary, Did you Know?" a cover by Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd.

Was fortunate enough to catch Kenny Rogers at Albert Lea, MN at a grandstand performance in 2016 where he played hit after hit and really entertained. Was only about 100 feet away, so it was pretty awesome.

Kenny is singing with the angels, now.

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

30 some years ago our little girls came home from school upset because the WELS and Christian Reformed kids had told them that Mr Rogers was a tool of the devil. 

lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

sw - when I first saw your post I thought Tom Hanks must have died.

Then I realized The Gambler" had cashed in his chips.

Found out today we're classified as "essential" since we are designated

as a critical path supplier to a couple companies in Mankato that

build standby power systems.  Wonder if I'll get a letter like my SIL

to show the deputies that I am allowed to be out and about.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

RSBS,   I wanted to lead with that song  --- kenny's voice on "Mary did you know" is just good.  Most folks either try to impress singing it with voice or melodramatics, but kenny just sings it.  I like music and proformance and this Mr. Rogers was at home on the stage from the first group.  He was the proformance draw for the "first edition" even though they had lots of talent, he was the man.. yet they stayed together and cranked out a lot of hits before they decided to stop.  That says a lot for him.  Then on his own he cranked out more and more.........  

I always thought "just dropped in" was comical and a spoof song and watching him sing it --looks like he might have agreed.  I just enjoyed watching him in front of an audience.   RSBS I agree, I thought "Mary" was the icing on the cake.

I read he got a contract once to get $20 million for 4 songs..... and true to character he took a little longer and made every one of them a number one hit.   

Not my favorite musician or singer ...... but you can tell when he was on stage he was at home.  Not sure who he is singing for now but if there is a crowd he will be there.   Like Bruce says "one of the great ones".

When I was thinking about that I was thinking about my own state of mind and this historic event we are living with.... The economics we are battling, and 

I thought if I led that with Mary I might turn somebody off or push myself over the edge.   But then just dropped in has other issues, but I assume we're not going back there, if we ever did think that was an answer.  

Bruce ya always make me think beyond simple....... Which Mr. Rogers was the tool......??   I was always afraid of the slick one with the sweater.  He is just too smooth,  too perfect. .  🙂             A tool of the devil,  we all fit that description at one point or another, like when we're pointing out one.   At least your girls got a look at politics early on.  Almost all lessons are better at a younger age.

Isc76cat,  Your special..... You'll get tested before your 80.--  joking but that's a good spot to be in right now.  Some guys are probably wondering if their job is still there.... or on its way out.    

I have learned to enjoy this panhandle region.... its solitude is constant.... I come to Iowa and wonder how you guys can farm so "shoulder to shoulder"  much harder to find a terrestial restroom.    I been in quarantene most of my life.  So I'm still out here.   

I worry about the younger guys.... I got one that can't keep his head under control... if all of politics got sucked down a drain he couldn't swim well enough to save himself.  Both my guys are in a struggle and I don't know how to encourage them....... they're committed so I guess they ride it out,  but there aren't many things looking smart now.  But I guess we all feel that way..... Keep it simple, help the one you can reach. 

Tom Hanks..... I heard they were released from custody so they must have healed up quickly.  He will have some good movie ideas.... 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

This is probably my favorite Kenny Rogers duet with a gal I have liked for years -- voice and instrumental...

Didn't think it would be that popular.... or known

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsCFoAdpRIk

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Thanks sw for the link. Good song with a message we too often forget 

0 Kudos