cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Any Rain

im live 40 miles west of cincy and got 7 drops they have had two rains this week on the city blacktop

0 Kudos
Contributor

We just tie everything we need on the ATV and drive it down a row.  If you figure up the labor and time not watering you save especially if someone were to get hurt pretty much covers the corn that is ran over and surprisingly some of it stands back up, (well maybe not at these prices).

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for the advice.

I was about 50-75 yards from alfalfa, so it wasn't bad.  If you think about it, 50 yards, is only 50 big steps, and the Alfalfa was on the 'dry' side.

As far as the heat, etc, it wasn't bad, only 99 that day.

I do furrow irrigation, carry out, and bring in about 200 metal pipes to irrigate 115 acres, and spend about an hour and a half, morning and night, every day I have to irrigate, more if I have to 'dig' the rows through by hand, makes watching the pivot seem like child's play.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Have you checked out the tires redone by D and S at West Point , Ne? They are taking old truck tires and putting on lugs, they look to be way more durable than those cheap tractor type tires.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

That's what I'm putting on.  11-24.5 24-ply truck tires, recapped with lugs on it.  What happened is the guys putting up the pivot, 'cheaped out' on us, when they promised us newly recapped tires, on new rims for the pivot.  The went tubeless, and for some reason, they are leaking at the bead.  One of the tires, was 3 PSI low this spring, it only lost 3 PSI all winter, yet it was one that went flat on me the other day.  My tire guy says to put tubes in them, it will save headaches in the future.  I have two old rims,  I got at a sale, with the recaps on them (with tubes) and when it gets to the end, where I have alfalfa, I plan to haul them out, and replace both tires on a tower.  If I do a tower or two a day (I'll be wrestling with them myself, and have no idea how much work putting tubes in 24 ply tires will be) it won't be long before I get them all done.  I have two patches of alfalfa under the pivot, so I can do it twice per cycle.

0 Kudos