cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Any good news ???

egads, it's starting to get down right depressing around here !!!

talked to a fellow today, he told me he was told to expect cattle down to 80 cents next year.

now that will let the air out of your intertube !

anyone know anything about raising goats ???

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Any good news ???

Maybe lamas and ostriches will make a comeback   LOL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I hear goats are good property.  But, in tough times, I think a farmer is better doing what he or she knows.  Around here in the 80`s some farmers raised artichokes and peppers and lost their hindends, because these niche markets are usually a pyramid scheme with those aready in reaping the reward. 

Some raise turtles and coin money, some are into shrimp farming, but they have their contacts.  Someone new would be at a big disadvantage.

I think the best a guy can do is cut their costs best they can, if the market offers you a price that you can survive on when the planters are stuck in the mud or the weather gal is predicting 2 weeks of no rain in July, then you bite the bullet and take that price and hope to fight another day.

The prices are cheap now, but I don`t have any grain to amount to to sell, so that`s a good place to be right now, there`s time on the new crop, I haven`t even gotten my seed delivered  Smiley Happy   We all need to relax, things work out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

very good assessment BA i my self have been looking at different nitch crops and keep coming back to the fact it might not be worth the risk playing in someone elses game.  looking at taking what i have and know and doing the best i can to make it work. my worry is how long will this down turn in ag last.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I am going to raise filter strips for the government.  Just might be my best cash crop.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Good morning all  Smiley Happy   We have a truck on the road - we mainly haul grain - Grain movement has bees very SLOW - really since just after harvest -  Lucky - we are hooked up with an ethanol plant and they have been keeping us from starving - almost - lol Anyway - It got so slow that I enrolled with a on line site that has bulk loads listed - I made a call to the company that had 3 loads - not far from me - headed to Northern IN - It was organic wheat - but they had already booked out the loads - I talked to the dispatch lady for a while - asking questions about the orgainic's - that is all this company do's - look for and book organics for end user's , been in business for 25 years . She took our name and number as they have trouble finding trucks to haul it because you have to have a wash out on the trailer - that is no problem for us as we have a company pretty close that do's that kind of work - matter of fact - they have done work for me before and they are good . We are close to finishing up a job for the ethanol plant and they don't have anything else booked at this time - so yesterday I was on the load board and found 3 loads from IN to WS -- organic corn .  There is even one company ( 10 miles South of me ) that has 50 loads of food grade corn going to Baltimore  .

The lady in Buffalo NY that had the wheat said they have people looking for these kind of products every day and there is more demand than resourses = organics - and in some cases food grade - non gmo .

One more story here - I have a neighbor thats about a mile due south of me - they started up a non gmo bean meal plant ( small scale to start with )  well they are just getting it going - and they have orders from everywhere for it - even the company from Buffalo that I had called  + the bean oil ( non gmo ) for cooking oil . 

So there is your tip for making it rich elcheapo - Smiley Wink Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The good news around here is the mud is froze up so I can wear shoes again for a few days and give my feet a rest from those "gum" boots.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

The good news around here is the wind is slowing down.  Had a wind gust of 57mph yesterday with sustained winds of 40+ all day and 30+ last night. My wife had a bundle of toilet paper blow off her cart as she was leaving Walmart, some nice man retrieved it for her. Down to 25mph just now.  Yep, no mud for awhile down to 6* this morning.  For those hauling grain it is solid again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

elcheapo,

This is just a suggestion. But, you might consider taking the money that you would risk on a pyramid scheming brussel sprout crop and buy some 'put' options. Try to use a marketing plan that involves crop insurance, hedges and cash contracts. If you want to sleep a little better at night and think the market is going to get away from you to the downside, buy some puts. If you think you want to capture a move up, lock in some calls. Throw in selling some puts, if you don't think we're falling further.

Unless you have always had an interest in raising goats, peppers, or alpacas, you might find the risk of options contracts a lot less.

Also, let's get you signed up for our new Successful Marketing newsletter. You'll be changing your name to elinformedo before you know it.

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Mike,  Just wondering how being informed with bad news every day will help him?   Smiley Wink