cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Anyone's Corn black layer

after this weeks heat in KA, MO, Ne, IA, MN, WI, IL, Dakotas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Re: Anyone's Corn black layer

My short season corn planted on May 4th, wasn't even to full dent yet, on Saturday AM.  Some might be by now, since it was almost 100* the last 8-10 days.

0 Kudos
IllinoisSteve
Senior Contributor

The 107 day planted May 1st is extremely close. I expect the field will be full black layer by the end of the week.
0 Kudos
Riverlandfrmr
Frequent Contributor

Planted some apr.6 and it is still really green, of course it never came up for 3 weeks. Looked Sat. And it is close but nothing I could see. Too long to emerge and too cool. Planted on gumbo river bottom. Going to be around 100 bu.
0 Kudos
aaron-neill
Veteran Contributor

Just over half milk line on the early planted corn 5/4.  Normally we are done by then!  Figured a couple weeks ago it would be 9/10 for black layer and looking close to it.  Late corn it still 15-20 days out.  Hope to keep the heat around until October to field dry under 20.

0 Kudos
NDf
Senior Contributor

If I would have to guess sept 20 would be the date most of the corn will be close in this area of se  ND.

0 Kudos
COrnguy
Contributor

I'm in northern CO. Planted a 96 day hybrid the last few days of April and liiks like it'll black layer later this week. Typically, I plant a 102 day variety and wouldn't expect black layer until after the 20th. Majority of the corn in the area needs a minimum of 3 weeks to finish. We had a wet spring, but was able to slip ours in while the neighbors waited to work their ground before planting. I'm hoping for 210 bushels, planted at 30,000. Usually drop 36K, but with irrigation water looking very limited last spring, thought 30K might be too darn many.

0 Kudos