cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Are "traders" the enemy?

I will carefully add one comment. After the June report, a quick analysis showed clear and uncontrovertable evidence of spoofing in the corn market. I printed off all the evidence, met with the state NASS director (because releasing the report during trading hours makes the spoofing VERY EASY to pull off!), and he forwarded it to Washington to NASS and the CFTC. Silence...nothing but silence...

Now I realize I am a nobody and thus just "whining", but goodness the evidence was so clear, and I shared the information as the FSA State Chairman. Oh well, as I always start my presentations, the playing field is not level and has been tilting more against the producer my entire lifetime. Seems like that trend will persist :-)

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Major respect for doing what you did.

Most times nowadays, folks just complain and flop around helplessly yet never DO anything. 

👍

It's hard to do the right thing when the odds are so stacked against, such as they are now, but you will always be able to look at yourself in the mirror, with honor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@timetippingpt As an interesting afterthought, I was reading about how the potato harvest is probably 20-25% less this year because of frost/freeze, and it was pointed out that NASS follows mathematical equations to come up with their numbers (and as we know, they constantly change the variables of the CPI, so what's stopping them from changing NASS crop equations), but that the potato crops are actually counted by humans and so the potato crops are counted far more accurately.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Thanks Obama!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

While the CFTC is at it they might want to check out who was making huge buys in the e-mini S&P ahead of positive statements and tweets about trade progress.

Mught just be a lucky bet based on a pattern of behavior but enquiring minds want to know.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@BA Deere  Mentioned to my Better Half that the scuttlebutt is that there may not be enough sugar beets for X company (not gonna name who they said it was) to process after February -- when usually their supplies last until summertime -- so my Better Half brought home an extra 20 pounds of sugar just in case.   Good 'ol supply and demand.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

You don't understand the US sugar pricing system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Traders were not the enemy when they were piling $B's into index funds and speculation while we were on the good side of the ethanol slope and the GWB Admin was doing everything they could to trash the $ and China growth was gobbling up commodities.

Those things come and go and they're not likely to come again for another 15-20 years. Such is the nature of the business.

Approximately 10 "good" years out of 30. The rest of the time you survive and wait for it to come again.

0 Kudos