cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Re: Are the traders just realizing...........

It looks like #3 is for real........

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

132 million in this erector set so far.
0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

It appears that ethanol will be disappearing.......heading to South America.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Ray  J,  Those early organizational meetings and the recent announcements for that matter have a feel of "saying the right things to get the deal done.  So who knows---- but there is a lot of structure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RT1,  Totally think you are right ---IMO___IMO---------- Marketing 2014 has been all about getting this coming crop bought at a low risk price.

And most of ours area's is going to be bought before the last combine stops.

--------

The only negative to grain "consumption" I have read involves risk.  A feeder told me they are only feeding the cattle they need to "pay the bills"------------- "We think there is just too much volatility in the feed side as well as the cattle themselves."

I am sure that says a lot about the price of feeder cattle.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Had a neighbor plant 300 acres of cover crops after wheat harvest just to buy some stocker calves this fall to graze to covers. Now that the price of 400-500 pound calves is out the roof he doesn't want to stick his neck out that far, and who can blame him. Due to a warm Oct and not a killing frost in sight, he will probably be haying his covers since they are already 6-7 feet tall and will be way to much residue to pull a no-till drill or planter thru come next spring.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

There must be a government payment tied to the word cover.

Down here where every inch of percipitation is used by the cash crops or the grass half the time. I am told that cover crops have a positive effect.

It looks to me like they need water and use nutrients like everything else that grows..... although I sort of buy the idea that radishes die and leave what they took in a better form and "mulch" the soil.

If he intends to graze or bale,. Isn't it a cash crop in a double crop practice and therefore taking more than it gives to the soil.

I ha---( "struggle") with "manufactured for sales" terms like cover, organic, natural, pure, energy, 

Cover crops are sold as improving soil when the best they do is use excess in areas where excess water or nutrients are a problem.

That ought to get me labeled by some organic pusher.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Not trying to offset your last comment SW, but my best field of winter wheat this past summer was drilled into cover crop residue that was chemically killed. This year I did almost the same thing but I was able to bale the covers instead of killing them. I will add a little additional fertilizer at top dress time to replace what was removed by the forage. We had more late summer and early fall rain this year than last year so I'll see how it goes next summer.