cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Aren't going to get those soybean acres bought this way.

$15.76 divided by $7.44 is 2.12, $13.54 divided by $5.69 is still only 2.38.  They can complain all they want about being short beans but they need to start putting their money where their mouths are soon.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Aren't going to get those soybean acres bought this way.

How I felt when my house was only 60 degrees inside, and the furnace has  been running continuously for days. - Meme on Imgur

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Someone should just at least note some exceptions to your thought process.

1. 2.38 given input prices makes beans far more profitable for anyone east of the MS River, especially as it now looks like we will be planting the last half of the crop after May 15th.

2. What is the ratio with wheat for the western/northern plains. Pretty sure beans make wheat look like a distant second choice. Plus it sets the farm up to grow wheat next year after prices recover vs. beans. 

3. Corn/soy are really competing with pasture and other uses. Local 100 acres that has been idle waiting for houses to be built just got planted yesterday by someone willing to risk it to grow $13 beans. Really no risk, ins. gaurantees to cover cost, swing for the fences....

Plus, it isn't what we actually plant anyway, it is what NASS says we plant. :-)  And, just based on price levels impacting their "variable over-sight" calculations, doubt acres go anywhere but up. 

Of course, what do I know, not much some days.

lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

Hard to get excited about planting beans when it's 44 degrees and raining.  Overnite lows in the 30's until middle of next week.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I think you have a point.  With prices up across the board, I doubt futures markets are having much effect on planting decisions.  If anything it is a relaxing sedative.  When was the last year when you could plan a profit in every crop option?  We will all plant what we get planted.  Weather, weed preparation, harvest planning, best marketing option locally, etc.   many things will play into this one.  Usda's market manipulation and world view predictions may not be all that important this year.

We will get to work in another 3 million acres of former CRP and no one will know where it went.

How wonderful it is until politicians screw it up.

Temps and winds say it is not spring yet.

0 Kudos