cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Argentina's Soybean Production 57MMT?

Just in case you missed it this morning, USDA's attache in Argentina said he expects soybean production to reach 57MMT, being produced in 21M hectares (+1M hectares compared with this year). 

According to him, farmers see production no so much as a fuction of prices and costs of production, but in relation with exchage rate and goverment policies. Quoting, "With this logic, farmers are not producing soybeans per se but rather hedging as best they can on future currency devaluation." (I have to agree with him on that one)

Exports as grain would reach 10MMT, +1MMT compared with this campaing.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Argentina's Soybean Production 57MMT?

China will probably import over 70 MMT this marketing year.

Increasing production at some point means sales - and when the government gets more revenue.

Does Argentina have a problem with Asian fungus on soy?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Argentina's Soybean Production 57MMT?

I wouldn't say we have "A PROBLEM" with rust, but argentine soybeans are susceptible to it. Still soybean planting is in the earliest of stages, so I can't speak of any real problems yet for the 14/15 campaing.

About increasing production meaning sales, that would be true... in any other country. Sales in Argentina, these days, are not so much price related, but "financial need vs how much can I keep away from the govt" related. Still, when everything's said and done, those beans will flow to the market., meaning more sales

0 Kudos