cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JD4020408
Contributor

Article gives the perception that receiving farm payments is akin to welfare! Hmmm

We are not row crop farmers by trade just a little corn to feed the cattle and some beans to follow them so we have never received any big payments, just some for pasture in a drought or two.
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-sen-joni-ernst-learned-20150123-column.html
0 Kudos
27 Replies
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: More truthfully the convoluted usa tax

system is pretty much a tax free disguised ride for usa businesses at the Taxed expense of wage and salary earning folks.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Re: Article gives the perception that receiving farm payments is akin to welfare! Hmmm

Yep how do you defend? You can't.
0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Article gives the perception that receiving farm payments is akin to welfare! Hmmm

All that was is a political hit piece against Joni Ernst, she has the leftist communists very worried and this is all the Marxists could find fault with Joni`s rebutal to the SNAFU speech.  Having elitists bad mouth farm programs is akin to Marie Antoinette saying "Let them eat cake!",  LA Michael Hiltzik doesn`t look like he`s ever been on a farm or missed any cheap food meals either.

His Obama begged to have this farm bill passed at the last SNAFU speech, both Republicans and Democrats passed it..no side has the high ground on this.  Truth be told it`s the consumers that benefit from farm bills, it entices us stupid farmers to plant fencerow to fencerow, plow up pasture, plow up golf courses all for a chance to "grab that brass ring" but just went Charlie Brown is set to kick the underinflated football, ol` Lucy pulls it away from us and here we sit with 2 billion bushel MORE corn than we can sell.

No one can argue that American doesn`t have the CHEAPEST SAFEST food on the planet and ever since I can remember the government has been meddling in farm policy ...ya think there might be a connection?????

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

BTW how many times have we been told that Obamas friends dealings and association's dont have any bearing on Obama? So how does Joni's uncle have bearing on her. Double standard anybody?
k-289
Senior Advisor

The same old analogy applies here on the '' lets castor-cut spending " -ah well  "except for my jewels "  ---    

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Okay, I thought of some more stuff.

Does Michael Hiltzik know that Iowa`s Republican Senator Charles Grassley (the ONLY Farmer in the US Senate) voted AGAINST the farm bill???  Why is that Michael, huh??  Why is that Michael?  If farmers are making out like such bandits, why would the only senator that`s a farmer, vote against the farm bill?

Joni Ernst didn`t vote for the farm bill, she held county and state offices...Joni`s opponent Bruce Braley seemed to campaign that "Joni would`ve voted AGAINST the farm bill"  

http://theiowarepublican.com/2014/braley-continues-to-fail-iowa-farmers/ 

Braley voted for the farm bill...so, would Michael Hiltzik run a hit piece on Bruce Braley had he won???? I really really really doubt it!

John Deere is laying off workers cause of the down turn in the farm economy I can`t recall for certain, but I believe that John Deere was among the many companies that were lobbying FOR the farm bill.  Those companies understand the importance of a strong farm sector to the general economy. 

0 Kudos
JD4020408
Contributor

I would add that John Deere, CaseNH, etc etc
Fert companies, Seed companies, etc etc etc
Have been rewarded by these payments too.

0 Kudos
JD4020408
Contributor

I would have to say it looks bad from the outside looking in when a farmer gets out of their $2500,000 combine that's being tended by a $50,000 grain cart pulled by a tractor that cost nearly as much as the combine and into their $50,000 plus truck to go sign up for their payments. But most suburbanites love their McMansions and escalades and want a big tax rebate too, our country's thought process is always bigger and better! The author of the article uses this thought as propaganda but he does fail to mention the current farm bill was passed with a Democratic Senate and President. A cheap and readily available food supply is of upmost importance of any country.
0 Kudos
unlgrad
Senior Contributor

Senator Charles Grassley voted against the farm bill because the payment limits were set too high.  It is amazing that his payment limits passed the house and senate only in conference committee to be changed higher.  If the Congressmen were responisilbe for the debt and it cost them personally, we would solve many issues.  Now they spend on every project that garners them the most votes.  There are a few statesman left, Grassley is one of them.  You are right, it is hard to justify this program.  I have been a farmer since 1978.   I remember when 1996 Freedom to Farm was to be the last program. Ha!  I have been to the meetings, it definitely will keep FSA employees busy and fully employed for the next 4 years.  Sign-up  for 2 years of program in one year and still not all the rules have been written.  Not one of us could run our business the way the gov. does. Thank God for that. 

0 Kudos