cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Aussie Wheat?

Does anyone have a handle on wheat conditions in Australia? I saw an arcticle that seemed to come across that most of the country was toast,what was left would end up in feed lot territtory.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Aussie Wheat?

There was a clip on AgDay just this morning about Aussie wheat.  Not sure if I would call it toast, but no where near a bumper crop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Reader

Yes it is very dry in Australia at the moment but I suspect the article must be referring to our dryland summer grain crop,mainly sorghum,which would be really feeling the pinch.I'm not sure what proportion of our summer grain crop is irrigated,but I imagine our summer grain production will be a fraction of normal.As for wheat,although we had a dry finish in spring an average wheat crop was produced some of which would be still held by growers,either in on-farm storage or grainhandler warehousing.

Domestic end users seem to get most of their needs covered at harvest time so basis has been pretty stable since then,generally only increasing when futures prices decrease.ie I don't think anyones panicking to much at the moment,still plenty of grain available for export.Obviously this will change if still dry in 3 or 4 months time going into our winter planting, 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The news clip was more of a weather clip than a crop clip.  Yes, it was touched on again this morning.  Sorghum and corn crops are virtually non game changers, they will be reserving any additional wheat bushels to cover shortages created by the row crops.  Wheat will primarily be used for their own domestic use.

Also, seems like there are parts of Australia that are under extreme flooding as well.  Some areas flooding, others are under extreme drought with some wild fires, not really a farming paradise at the moment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

There was article that the last Aussi crop (now  harvested way it sounds)  was projected at 29 mmt and came in at 21 mmt...

0 Kudos