Veteran Advisor

Awesome

Our crops here in SE MN.  No other word for it.  Awesome.  The crops as I drive around the area, are the best I think I have ever seen here, and I've seen some great crops here.  Again, looking at our garden and how it's doing is a microcosm of what I see going on in the fields.  Our sweet corn (Syngenta BC0805 - what a great corn!) in the garden is the best I've had yet.  The stalks aren't real tall (due to too much watering automatically when I was in Florida in June), but man, what great cobs.  On Hwy 19 going from Cannon Falls to Red Wing yesterday, the fields all look like they were trimmed even with a scissors.  Deep green, all the way to the ground on the corn which is something in our sandy area that we seldom see.  The beans, lush.  Full of flowers (I counted 10 on one node) and setting pods. Phenomenal.  Frost scare - nada - these crops are maturing very rapidly with the moisture and heat units we have been getting.  Might it take some of the top off the crop - maybe - but I don't think so.  It's just not been hot enough for that, and our pollination looks like it was really good in the corn.

I spoke a while back on how (here at least) the economy is back.  It has been for some time.  Housing has a shortage of houses on the market again.  Here's a recent article from our Star Tribune:  http://www.startribune.com/twin-cities-homes-are-selling-twice-as-fast-as-3-years-ago/263171201/

My local cabinet maker has so much work, he can't keep up, and it's been that way for the last 3-4 years already.  Yes - things are going pretty good.  A while back a question was asked by Market Eye if any of us were at the highest level (monetarily) that we have ever been.  Hobby said he was - and I would have to say that I am also.  I have no regrets on selling my farm a few years ago.  In the last two years, I have seen my health improve (probably due to lack of stress) and have been able to get off several of my heart medications - and I'm hoping to get off one or two more that would allow me to get my medical back for flying - with my medical returned and my commercial pilot's license, I can fly my drone in many more places than someone who doesn't have a pilot's license - and I can do it and possibly earn a little extra cash doing it.

Traffic on the highways that we drive has been heavy - and it's been that way for a while also.  Lots and lots of Semis on the road.  There's just no comparison to the way it was 8 years ago when our monetary system was on the verge of collapse.  I can understand why GW wasn't at the convention.  If I was a Republican, I wouldn't have wanted him there either, dredging up all the bad that happened during his administration.   Much of our current debt I associate directly or indirectly with him, and his team while in the White House.  I haven't forgotten - hopefully the bulk of America hasn't either.

I've had plenty of time to watch what's going on this political season.  I've been able to watch Congress's grilling of the people involved with Secretary Clinton's email issues, and both of the conventions.  I don't consider myself a Democrat, and Independent, or a Republican.  I don't pull the lever to "select all" along party lines.  I vote on a candidate by candidate choice.  This is going to be an ugly, ugly few months leading to the elections in Nov.  

I can't agree with a lot of the platform of the Republican Party.  I can't.  If the Republicans want to redo Obama Care - if they have something better - GREAT! - let's see it.  And BEFORE - note - BEFORE we dismantle what already is in place, let's see the plan, and vote on which one we want.  But to repeal Obama Care - and then maybe we'll replace it with something - maybe, someday - is irresponsible.  I see Trump as scary, and the more I see, the more scared I get.  I want to see his tax return.  So does the rest of America.  Not publishing his tax return - whether being audited or not after he said he would release it earlier - has to cast a wary on on who this guy really is.  Hopefully, the American people take this fellow for who he really is - a con man playing a game of politics with America and the World.  But enough of that.  I'm sure in the coming months, The Donald will become more and more embroiled in controversy of his making - but it's all good  - it gets his name out there more.  We'll see if the strategy actually works. 

Jen

Advisor

Re: Awesome

Jen,

Having issued you a friendly caution about weighing in on the Forum foodfight, I'll also caution about politics on the marketing page.

One of the gems in Kahneman's Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow is a study of investor performance when "their" party is in or out of power. The conclusion was that people tend to perform worse when the other party is in power, probably because over the long run stocks go up and the more convinced you are that Things Are Horrible, the more likely you are to do stupid stuff.

I've seen some pretty stupid marketing concepts expressed here with political rationale behind them and do quite honestly believe that it is best to build a wall between the two, as best we can.

Although in fairness, I entered the Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here gates of the Forum back in 2008 as people were chasing me off here, getting highly peeved when I would suggest that This Sucker Is Going Down when the A Team was in charge.

So sometimes it is political, or at least big picture market macro.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

This is not a personal dig Jen but the bar has been set for health care bills.  You need to pass them to see what is in them.

Advisor

This post will probably be moved to the cesspool before its all said and done. You are right, its going to get ugly fast in the U.S. Trump can go ahead and scare you. He doesn't scare me. Putin scares most of the world and how often do you see terrorist attacks in Russia? I'm tiered of seeing the trash of the world killing innocent people and our cops being made into target practice all while the liberals look the other way. You were fine with the crops looking great in MN.

Esteemed Advisor

I find it amusing that you think Trump is scary.   Many folks ( me included) find Hillary down right dangerous.   

Advisor

As to my point.

Being whacky is bad for business.

If you can't separate them then best to quit one or the other.

Honored Advisor

Syngenta has a good sweetcorn?   I can`t raise sweetcorn, too many raccoons, does anyone have a good technique to keep varmits out of the sweetcorn patch?  I`ve heard putting up a electrified fence or a wall of some kind, the minute it gets ready, the varmits come in and strip it clean.  I`ve been buying it at the stands, but you can`t beat raising your own.   Smiley Happy

Veteran Advisor

Dad always used a double-strand electric fence -- bottom wire 3-4 inches off ground, top wire 4-6 inches above that -- seemed to work pretty good so long as wire was good and hot.

Veteran Advisor

One of the first things the guys at Syngenta told me when I started working there, was that I was going to be spoiled for life because of the sweet corn varieties they have.  Here's a link to their varieties:

http://www.syngenta-us.com/seeds/vegetables/sweet_corn/sweet_corn_crop_guide.pdf

It's generally sold under the Rogers Sweet Corn label.  We have been planting the BC0805, but I'm sure they probably have even better varieties now.  It really is amazing corn - but, it MUST be grown in seclusion, like all sweet corn should.  A quarter of a mile or more from all other corns, or planted later to avoid cross pollination.

As far as the coons (and also the deer for us) we errected a 6 foot tall fence using 2 x 4 inch wire mesh, secured on 8 foot T posts.   It has worked very well the last 3 years - if you want I can send you a picture of our fencing.  And - ours is right next to a 100+ acre wooded area.  We have lots and lots of both deer and the nasty coons.

Jen

Honored Advisor

Seems everyone likes that electric fence idea, especially one strand close to the ground.    As a kid we trapped raccoons, so there wasn`t so many and deer were scared of the dogs or something, not many around then. 

I remember getting the sweetcorn picked out of the garden and husking it right away and Mom had the kettle of water boiling, about one minute from the garden to the kettle  yum-yum Smiley Tongue    We had a Caterpillar guy over doing work about sweetcorn time every summer and he`d stay for supper of course.  Well as Dad would say I liked the sweetcorn when it`s "ready for the crib", Dad and everyone else liked it pimply, milky...yuck.   Anyway me and "Knutson" the Caterpillar guy liked it ready for the crib, well he being the guest got the roast first and potatoes first ...and first pick at the sweetcorn and he always would take the 2 ears that I wanted that were ready for the crib.   So, to this day, anyone that takes the ears that I like, gets called "Knutson!"  Smiley Happy