cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: B-Team Report for Thursday's grain trade

Thanks for all the irrigation subtleties. We don't see many pivots here in Ohio, mostly for vegetable crops. It must be an adventure keeping them maintained. Hope we all get some real rain soon.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Yes, and the funny thing, is that all the trees and weeds along the river are taking more water away from the river, than the irrigators, yet we 'can't kill a tree', so the ones that are cut off, are the farmers. 
Going back to old pictures, thost trees were not even there, until fairly recently.  It seems odd, that we have to bring back 'historic' flow, but can't clear out the trees to 'historic' vegetation.  If anyone can explain that logic to me, let me know.

Senior Contributor

You should see what the trees are doing along the edges of our fields in Ohio. 12 to 18 rows of corn are all dwarves.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

south west ohio, did you get any of that rain last night? how is things holding up in your county? I am in clinton county, dont look too bad considering....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

66 nah we missed the last couple of rains completely. You must be in the garden spot. Last rain was .4" on the 29th and corn was curling again the next day. I planted later than most and am at least a week away from seeing the first tassel which may help with pollination (if we do get some rain by then. But my plants are unusually short. Nothing above the chest yet, mostly waist high. This part of Montgomery County doesn't look good at all. Uneven hights accross the field are common, some beans alrady burned up on gravel ridges. At least we haven't had the lawn mower out for a couple of weeks.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Good year to be late planting.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

the later planted does have a better shot with some rain and cooler weather, 50% chance sunday, hope it makes it!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

same here.

0 Kudos