cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

B-Team's in the driver's seat: Wednesday, March 4

Here's a little bit of news that probably won't do much of anything to move the markets, but that I found staggering. Just chatting with Luis Vieira this morning and he said a source from Argentina's Revenue Service says 9 million TONS of soybeans have been smuggled out of that country in the last year. I asked him how, and he sent me this picture:

That's a lot of beans!!

Morning, everybody. Hope everybody's not salivating too much looking at the forecast showing warmer weather coming up soon! I know I am!

Hey, we're starting in the red today; oil's a little higher, the Dollar is sky-high and it sounds like the truckers in Brazil are loosening their grip on the strike. Looks like soybeans will probably be the downside leader today. 

So, what do you think of these crop insurance prices? Going to be able to make that dog hunt on your farm? Here's the B-Team's roundup of what's shakin' this morning. Anything else on your radar? 

On a personal note, the world's lost a heck of a farmer this morning. My Uncle Tim passed away overnight unexpectedly. He was the ol’ feller who taught me how to change water, drive tractor and throw a screwdriver so hard you can puncture an ether can when the dumb kid working with you shorts out the jumper cables when you’re trying to start an irrigation motor. He always said “If you can work a whole summer for me, you can work for anybody.” Great guy who worked hard out on the land. We'll all sure miss him. 

Hey, hope everybody's having a good one this morning! I'll jump in as I hear any scuttlebutt in the markets through the day!

Jeff

0 Kudos
9 Replies
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

edited for "radar." Re: Great work Jeff, ie B-Team. that

picture is impressive.

"radar" here indicates bout a 14,000,000 head beef cow area ( Several States ) severely effected by darn tough calfing weather the past 3 weeks.

i'd say there's in the 500,000 to 700,000 extra death loss on fresh calves in said area ( thru this week ).

just a darn tough deal for several operations / several States.

2 wet and 2 cold for 2 long.

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

Re: Great work Jeff, ie B-Team. that

Hard to say that picture fits these definitions of smuggling.

smug·gle
ˈsməɡəl/
verb
gerund or present participle: smuggling
  1. move (goods) illegally into or out of a country.
    "he's been smuggling cigarettes from Gibraltar into Spain"
    • convey (someone or something) somewhere secretly and illicitly.
      "he smuggled out a message"
      synonyms: import/export illegally, traffic in, run, bootleg
      "they smuggled drugs across the border"
0 Kudos
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

Jeff,

The trucker strike might get back by March 10th, truckers say here.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

That lineup of trucks would hardly be a secret.   Someone must have been paid to look the other way.

luisvieira
Senior Contributor

roartiger1,

They do not have enough personnel and some enforcement authorities are corrupt, as we broke in this story last year: http://www.agriculture.com/markets/analysis/soybeans/argentina-soybes-smuggled-to-avoid_10-ar43182

Argentina/Paraguay border has 1,055 miles. Argentina/Brazil border has 784 miles. Argentina/Bolivia border has 481 miles. Argentina/Uruguay has nearly 360 miles.

Argentina and Chile have also a huge border between the two countries, but I think Chile has more rule of law, has more money, more geographic barriers and unsignificant soybean production. So in that case, it would be harder to do the smuggle.

0 Kudos
Slim123
Senior Contributor

Re: B-Team's in the driver's seat: Wednesday, March 4

Do you notice those are small trucks with flat bottoms  I talked with a crop advisor who did business down and he said that they put sacks of grain in the trucks.  They are loaded and unloaded by hand. You would think a semi trailer with hopper bottoms would be faster and more efficent. 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Looks like trucks are tarped and lined up heading in both directions.  If they're smuggling soybeans out, what are they smuggling in?

0 Kudos
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Slim - From what I have saw of there roads down there - I would say that they would drag a hopper bottom - I know mine would with the deep hoppers

0 Kudos