cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Backed by the full credit and support of the United States government

Those words now have different meanings.  .

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: Backed by the full credit and support of the United States government

The best thing that i ever heard in My life was on the radio today. I did'nt catch the guys name, but this is what i heard. Talking about the goverment shutdown. " Its not the replublicans, or the Democarates at fault. It's the American people. They are the ones that elect them". Still shacking My head at that one.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

When something hits you as special and funny for more than one reason it is a moment to remember (and often one of those"had to be there moments)

Yesterday at DMV for CDL update.  A midwest meat packing town.  DMV looks like the UN.  22 waiting and 16 need interpreters.  At least a 4 hr wait.  Most have foreign passports.  4 failed eye test.  Some failed written if they got that far, not having all the goofy documents needed.

I am sitting in the corner of room facing camera.  I can see them all, including examiner.  Older man in fromt row starts griping about illegals and boarders. Before he gets introduction to speech done, young truck driver in back row calmly speaks over him and says "The people in this room have all a job and pay taxes".

After a dead silence I glanced around and at least 6 of the ones needing interpreters had a big grin.  And hiding behind the counter ------ so did the examiner.

One of those moments----- followed by another one.

you reminded me of it      ------ what a mess.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Hi gio,

People who have had some success are likely to tell you all sorts of reasons why but probably few will acknowledge the luck of living in a politically stable country that happens to have had the extraordinary luxury of seignorage over the world's reserve currency- for some time now and maybe for some time to come.

Nothing to mess with, imo, regardless of how deeply aggrieved someone might feel or the urgency their particular economic theories might suggest.

Some will call that alarmist. I'd say that they really should think twice before testing their "theories."

"Cuz once you lose it you don't get it back.

0 Kudos
Contributor

hardnox, your tag is offensive. I am a "conservative" meaning I believe in  the original intent of the founding fathers, and it is heartbreaking to see the gov't taking its liberties as we lose ours.  Perhaps it is not intended to offend,...

0 Kudos

I'll probably change it out sometime but I suppose it was meant to offend to some degree.

It's like I told Ken, it's not like I'm calling you stupid in fact you may be very smart if things are going your way and you want them to stay that way. It's the substantial number of "conservative" voters where that's not the case who I have to wonder about..

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Exactly how is it stupid to be conservative? Do you leave your lights on and your water dripping? Do you own any land? If you do maybe you should feel guilty and give it to someone that doesn't own any.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Nox  your tag line is true because stupid people have less earning power so they conserve the spending of smaller income. (and often have to correct their posts)

Clever of you for pointing that out

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I seldom post in this form but feel the need to step in here. As I am on the linear format this post is not in response to any certain individual here. The reason I seldom post here is my marketing skills are willfully lacking but I do read some threads and this one caught my attention.

I don't really think Nox intends to affend anyone in this section with his tag line. We all post in the form section and things tend to get rather heated and personal. Not that we hate each other it is just the nature of politics and we all choose to discuss it. It is hard to delete a tagline going from one section to another so the times I post elsewhere I never delete my tagline. Nox has a lot of ideas, and like the rest of us form section poster can be a little kooky, but I have has enough discourse with him to know he is a decent fella.

Nox, did not mean to step on your toes in any manner and do not pretend to speak for you but thought I would throw my two cents in.

0 Kudos

Thanks 3020, but I suppose I did intend to stretch some people a bit.

As I've already said a couple of times, I'm not calling anybody here stupid, in fact they may be quite clever. I'm just pointing out that if they're "conservative" then in order for them to govern they have to make alliance with the 40% or so of conservative voters who don't "believe" in evolution or the 70-80% who believe that the almost unamimous scientific consensus on global warming is a conspiracy for those lazy and corrupt folks to milk grant money from the government. Etc.

The game has been to get "the base" riled up about something. What we seem to have going on at the present is that the base has been getting riled for so long that they've lost radio contact with the controllers and are going rogue in large numbers.

I'm not losing any sleep over the discomfiture of the controllers in fact it is kind of fun.

But anyway, as to the topic on this thread, I don't care what sort of monetary or fiscal theories or how much sense of grievance anybody has, I would strongly caution against messing with the reserve status of the USD. Which as I said initially, may be a lot more important to many peoples' prosperous status than all of their virtues that they posess in abundance (and people who aren't prosperous clearly don't.)

Oh well, it'll be what it will be. I changed the tag.

0 Kudos