3 Replies
Wind
Advisor

Re: Bacon chart ?

The "bacon theme" even hit the bikers"  http://bacoonride.com/about/

0 Kudos

Gotta smile thinking back to 1986.

All the news was about the health threat of nitrosamines in bacon and animal fat was still regarded as public enemy #1. There was discussion about the effect on the pork cutout if belly prices dropped to nothing.

Winter/spring 1986 was a historic rally in Live Hogs, setting off an historic round of about 6 years of extraordinary profitability.

A couple of very highly regarded advisories got caught totally wrongfooted on that and many pork producers sent vast margin payments to the CME- I knew of one who got dumped by his bank at the top and never recovered- missed the whole boom.

Probably the cause was to forced liquidation of small herds across the WCB owing to the farm finance crisis.

Moral of the story- a fundamental theme may sound compelling but there may be other competing themes that you don't see.

And a second observation- back then nobody envisioned the huge popularity of bacon in the fast food industry. Should have, after all it has plenty of two of the big three- fat and salt. The Big Gulp can provide the sugar.

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

hardox, I  think you should come on over and take in this ride, some of the same towns as last years RAGBRAI, my home town is one of them.  A good rain is always welcome at the end of June, so maybe you bikers can stir up a thunderstorm like the one you endured  in Perry last July.  That one was our "Billion Dollar" rain.

Bikers can burn off the bacon fat, not so sure about the Big Gulp sugar provider.

The BTL season is not even here yet, so if you like the taste of bacon it will cost us more now than in the past.

0 Kudos