cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Barchart Basis Map

Folks,

This map shows the basis pattern across the Corn Belt. This is provided by the cmdtyView product by Barcharts. What do you think? 

What shade captures your local basis?What shade captures your local basis?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Barchart Basis Map

Fairly inaccurate here are a few I see regularly and are better examples -- It is interesting and shows the improvement in basis in Iowa brought on by ethanol  --30 years back there would be no green in Iowa.

From I-80 south in nebraska movement is south/southwest into better basis( cattle in the panhandle region)  most corn in central Ks and southern neb goes somewhere else to markets... basis reflects freight.

The map shows the eastern corn belt had extreme harvest problems beyond what usda recognizes.  From western michigan to New orleans the basis shows exports are bidding up.  The dakota basis just says it takes a lot of freight to get corn to a market and Livestock are fed somewhere else.

Also notice the nitch market in Washington state..... short trip to the pacific export market that is too far for Dakota grain so it takes a big basis loss to pay RR passage..... I do think that Pacific market has strengthened the Iowa bid over the years.... That ++ basis market also exists for the central california valleys when corn markets are high enough to buy acres there.

It could be said from a basis map ---that our freight infrastructure is very inadequate..... we will provide good rail transit for california crops to get to eastern cities daily but if you wanta move commodities south or north no.  Like a train load of apples or sweet corn from Wisconsin to Pheonix.... or Dallas.  For grains out of the dakotas it's a long trip that includes that oversized canal through St. Louis..... antique transportation.

Progressive Farmer currentlyProgressive Farmer currently

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

KSU 's current southern corn market

Basiscorn202006.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Seems pretty obvious, the ND/SD/Canada guys are being encouraged to stop planting CORN!  :-O

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

One more damage created by the climate change crowd....   and getting our farming advice from DC.

A few years ago I was interviewing h2a workers(by phone) after thanksgiving day with an eye on the next summer farming season.

These few guys had been recommended by previous employers.  I called one, and he was on a tractor at 10pm somewhere north of the canadian border strip-tiling ground for the next years corn planting.  Rotating drivers to keep running 24 hrs a day.  Time, your comment brought that picture back in a flash.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: What's all that dark green up there in Michigan?

When the basis scale only goes to 40+ the map doesn't properly reflect the real situation.  And when it doesn't show the Northeast or the Southeast you can't see where corn might need to move to. 

It would be interesting to see a map showing the difference in basis from last year at the same time or even a 5 year average.

Advisor

Good points, either way this map here definitely doesn’t reflect the lack lustrous market value.  According to the USDA and the market price this map should be red like every year I would assume.?.  Strip tilling on thanksgiving night ..  Canadians ..A for effort.  Ironically we were combining at the very same time.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The young man is very good at just about anything,,  needs a chance at a farm managers position..... It was his 6th year to come to the US and he was tired.  I hear from him once in a while.  He started managing a youth camp back home and hasn't been back...that I know of.

Rick your right..... I find the basis maps to be pretty misleading.... usually because they pick and choose whose basis they include, or they tend to be from private data (either coops and no private elevators, or hand picked locations).  example our area sw of Garden City ks to amarillo, they only include coop bids.... yet in that area for decades over half the corn is sold direct to end users. And now with a couple of ethanol plants that is a higher %.... 

I would think the corn belt is also that way as well.... maybe not as high a % as here but far more corn goes to an end user now than before ethanol....  So that supports your point..  

0 Kudos