cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Barchart Yield Estimates

Barchart sees downside risk on U.S. yield and production. It released its first crop estimates, for 2021, today. What do you think, too low, too high, or just about right?

Barchart.png
0 Kudos
13 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Barchart Yield Estimates

Averages are tricky.  I think we`ve had some little hits here and there and sort of side with Barchart. Maybe the guy that gets 150 normally receives rain and will get 175. And the guy that gets normally 250 had cold and freeze, early planting premium gone and struggles for 225?   It`s early   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

I see nothing to suggest anything other than slightly trend+ at this point.

This is a very early juncture.

Although given the slight early dryness, I think way above trend is a slightly elevated possibility.

0 Kudos
illinifarmer
Advisor

Off if my county average of 167- 44 I’d say a little high.  Then again it’s an average estimate for national so, we’ll see.

0 Kudos
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Drought map

The drought map shows ND, SD & parts of Neb. dry to really dry.  If  ND & SD lose most of their corn crop, that would be about a billion bushel (6.6%) or 11 bushels off the average, so yeah I can see it losing 6 bushels just in those two states, easy.  If Neb. gets dinged as well, it could easily be worse.

And even parts of Minn. are dry.

deought map 5-27-21.png
0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Corn has to make 100 before it can get to 179.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

total guess, something to do for those with too little actual productive work to do.

Reminds me of an old saying ...

"Figures lie and liars figure"

'19 production was generally accepted to be overstated (read this to say over guessed)

'20 production was a whiff also because of dryness out west and a little breeze through the best of Iowa.

Oh yea then there was/is the little underguess of exports and what's gonna turn out to be a dismal over estimation of the south American crops.

They are fast approaching weatherman status with a long range forecast. Abysmal but still get paid.

Very good place to say "bah humbug"

Or maybe " move along, move along, nothing to see here".

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

well, I have 20 acres that has not been planted for over 4 years, and if this weeks heat and dryness materializes, it should be under plow in time for crop insurance. Well, the heat, and the tiling professional that should show up today.

20 acres of $1000 per acre crop should pay his bill.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Corn is remarkably resilient if it is planted under drier conditions with little compaction and then moderate dryness pulls the roots to China. But it does have to rain sometime.

Beans- if you have to mow the lawn 5 times in August, you’ll have a big bean crop. That’s most of it.

Right now we’ve eliminated one negative factor- a widespread wet spring. Thus I think you have to say trend, plus a little.

Better- a slightly flattened probability Bell Curve with both tails slightly fatter.

That definitely includes a greater than normal mega-boomer scenario even if the probability is still not that high.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Iceland is working on a drought, complete with fires etc.

Their last drought was in 2012. I was there in July that year.

Was great from a tourist point of view, everyday warm and sunny.

Over 70° the day we went north of the arctic circle.

Anybody remember 2012 back here in the states?

I remember coming home and mowing hay with the tractor reading 105° outside temp.

0 Kudos