cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Bean yields, 80 is the new fifty.

Dunno where the beans are coming from this year, but they shattered that 50 bushel ceiling by alot.  They`ll be SDS beans that won`t be as good.  I think it has to be genetics that`ve finally gotten into gear with beans that are starting to rival the advances in corn yields.   Corn yields went up and up, but beans were still in the 1990`s of 50bu being a good crop around here, but last year and this year so far, the bean yields made an exponential jump.   And i think it`ll be seen in the future that yields of 50 will be seen as unsatisfactory as sub 200 bu corn yields have been.

I know we`ve had rain and you needed to mow the lawn every 5 days this summer or it got wooly and it never went brown and dormant, but I think the bean genetics really kicked in, that and God-made climate change  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Bean yields, 80 is the new fifty.

Have you started combining beans and what kind of yields are you getting? Are you going to sell them or store them?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

We will see our yields this next week.....Beans were certainly shorter and more stressed this year than the last few....we had that chemical stress look Hobby talked about nearly all year on the upper leaves.

But I question acres........ 2015 there were beans all over central kansas and western...lots of acres and poor yields.  This year I don't see as many acres, but sure see more milo......  

I did not make it through the salina area this fall as I did last so that area is not included in this thought.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

73/bu and 76/bu added up scale tickets and that`s after leaving a little bit that`s too wet.  It`s wet out there, you want to have the cables on the combine and buy all the 1/2" high test chain you can find at Bomgaars and your 4010 ready to go  Smiley Happy  everybody has gotten stuck to some degree.  14% when you start and and 12% later afternoon 57-58lb TW.  Have some group 2.3 beans that are too green yet and expect them will be the best beans.

I plan on filling contracts and selling the rest, $8.85 cash isn`t too bad, that said I think everyone will be selling which will made storing them the right decision?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

BA --- Was that measured in acres --- OR --  hectares ???   Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

yields for sw 2016 soybean crop

Have averaged near 70 the last three years

This year..... 43, 49, 60, 73

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

Good one EC. Bean yields in C-IN are off the charts as we all, and even USDA, expected. Lots of whole fields north of 70. Record average for sure, maybe 5 above the old state record? To the question, they are all sold and will be delivered in Jan. Fixec basis on the Jan delivery back in June. Right or wrong, locking in $11 cash seemed prudent.

Corn yields continue to disappoint in our small area of the world. Everyone's are 20 to 30 under expected, (which still makes them well above average though.) Mostly damage from mold from the warm excessive water in August. Beans love it, corn not so much.

Vomotoxin testing and docks for many.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Except Time, who had the forsight to lock in more than a pickup load at $11?   We were all brainwashed last winter that "beans are gonna have a 7 in front"  well they hit $9 and alot of "prudent growers" locked in their APH...if they didn`t, then the 20/20 gurus would say "You had your chance at $9 but blew it, don`t come crying to me!"...Well here we are you can sell beans off the combine now for about $9, perhaps a little more than the $8.75 when prudent growers scaled up their sales.

Corn is the real head banger.   It was $3.50...$3.50...$3.50...$3.50 then in July it poped up 50¢ to $4.00 whooo-boy! Smiley Indifferent 50¢ rally!   I locked in $9.50 beans, but was licking my wounds on missing out on $11 beans and pretty much missed the day or two of $4 Z cash corn.  It`s easier selling on the way up than on the way down, that is for sure....now cash corn is $3.00  ...$3.00...$2.85...$2.90....$3.00...$2.95

0 Kudos