North Central crop district acreage cut 250,000 from September numbers

yield up 1 bpa.....cut production in that district by 40 million bushels

Ray J

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Re: Bear hibernate

I hear you time:

forgive my ETOH ignorance, but what went down over weekend re: news?

thanks 

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

IDA, could these PP areas been planted a few days after the rest of the field after they would have had some time to dry down? Possibly an earlier maturing variety? I had a couple areas in some draws that I was unable to get drilled to winter wheat when I drilled the other 99% of the field because they were too muddy. After they were able to get dried down, I used an old home made drag pulled behind my ATV to lossen the top 1" of soil and then I used a broadcast spreader to scatter some seed only to be followed by a pass with the drag after seed was broadcast. I'm not necessarily concerned about yield in these areas, but we all know that where we don't have crops growing, we will eventually have weeds. Call it redneck or hillbilly, but I don't have any PP acres.
0 Kudos
tree fmr
Advisor

We replanted corn this year, spotty drowned out areas on a couple of fields. The corn looked great, when the combine hit those areas yield monitor jumped between 0 and 10, the replant corn had no ears. Still not sure why but it happened. The areas we did not replant but looked bad and spotty had about half a crop. Lesson learned but not sure what that lessons is?
0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

shaggy, afew days later ??you have no idea. In our area, our biggest crop production problem has always been too much rain, not to little. I replanted some corn in  spots as late as june 23rd. that was a truly foolhardy date, but I got lucky and had a late frost. It made light test weight corn(53#) that was about 24% when the rest was 17.The reason so many spots were left was that we just ran out of calendar days. alot of soys went in here in the second and 3rd week of june. then there was spraying, side dressing , replanting, you name it. You had to prioritize. My sil had one field where we planted corn may 15 and it was never dry enough to replant 'til july 1!. We replanted soys all over with a 16 row planter and filled in some small holes with a 3 pt seeder and worked those in. The planter monitor said something like 23 ACRES of replant (in one 70 acre corn field). I harvested just over 1000 bu. of soybeans for him. We got a cool aerial photo with our fertility guy's drone. what a mess. If i can figure out how to post it,i will. I had no PP acres, myself. the guys that took pp had a great opportunity, especially if they had no nitrogen applied and they could take back their seed. I've never seen anything like the PP in my area. we live in the part of the cornbelt that is always a garden spot.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

To much rain, huh.  That would be an interesting concept.  I would just love to have 1 year where we knew we were going to have 30"+ rainfall so we could plan accordingly.  Having to make plans on half that amount leaves significant potential on the table after an abundance of rain is received.

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

shaggy, the next thing will be someone telling me to put more tile in. I own a tile plow and use it. I hope to start that by wed. and will tile 'til we "winter in".

0 Kudos
farsider
Senior Contributor

Exact opposite of you shaggy here, too much rain Is far worse then dry. Had our best crop last year, fought to get half a crop of soybeans and below average corn crop this year. Don't carry insurance so I have an incentive to "get ur done " but I had almost 15% of my acres that I didn't get planted, ouch! Local coop said it was the first year where the dry spreader didn't stop running, went from doing fertilizer to spreading oats on to pp and then back to fertilizer this fall.
0 Kudos
knownothingwann
Contributor

Here's a photo of a field that I rent and Idalivered had the great honor of planting, spraying, and harvesting this bean maze. Started out as 72 acres of wonderful corn on May 15th, but a 3.5" heavenly douche 24 hours later and a continuous month of rain turned it into 22 acres of beans in all of the drowned out spots and the corn looked and yielded like **bleep**. We couldn't get back in the field until the 1st of July to work the ground and plant the beans. Everybody had BFBS (big **bleep**ing black spots), but this aerial view really sums up the year for me. Wet = no bueno. I could also post a picture of a duck sitting in one of the ponds.

G0040059.gif

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

I guess I need to stop talking about cornSmiley Embarassed -- at least I'm not trading it or trying to go long.

0 Kudos