cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Been preaching disaster in 13 since last fall

Seem No one believed me. Even the better known contributers that post on this sight have spoken about a 14 or 15 bu national crop this year.  After sub par crops three years in a row the chances of a fourth seemed remote.  I will tell you like I told them, short crops have a 50 or 60 year string of disasters on years ending with 3's. 

Live it, Love it, Good.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Been preaching disaster in 13 since last fall

Are you talking early frost or just continued wet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

If that is the case, when should we start looking at selling 14?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

2014 Wheat has been as high on the board recently as Aug 13.Guess it must be down to about base price!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

In the reality of my world, there is no such thing as a 3 or 6 month forecast. Just doesn’t exist in scientific terms. YES, we wish it was there to use and some lame vendors may try and sell it, because some us wish, but.

Reality _ IL IA some in MN went in late, big states, yes, some effect on final crop size.

Meantime OH IN MI, other smaller states look tremendous for   C and beans. Bean acres will steal a bit from unplanted corn and unplanted will be up vs.  spring plans.

Look at SRW, harvest well underway, BIG yields, that is the crop I keep mentioned but seems no one is interested. Run a S&D proxy, and share what you see. Big acreage, high yields and if C is 4-5, feed use will drop.

Who has views to share>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Agree with VR.

Seems the years ending in an odd number have been real buggers for us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

So your saying wheat will be substituted for corn as a feed stock?  If so, it will most likely come from spring acres, doesn't sound like winter wheat yields as a whole is anything to write home about.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

cornafterrye20130624.jpg

VR, time skips a beat once in a while, last year was the 3 year.

Just a local pic for balance and to back up Pritch. We all know the west is bad. How bad?

That will be unknown for some time I suppose.

This is corn planted into about 18" tall ryegreass on May 4th. About chest high.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Time what do you think that corn will yield on that poor white Hamilton County gound. Dug down and saw my first tassle. Maybe July 10, was told you Tipton folks like to see your first around the fourth of July. Good luck, we need it and by the way we had 5 bad in a row. It ain't no fun.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

As the case in 93 Illinois and indiana will have a decent crop,  same in 93 as in 2013.  Still didn't make up for the poor crops in the west in 93 and it won't in 2013.  Ken I thought you just finished planting corn two weeks ago from you pics I saw.  Those must be the first fields you planted.

0 Kudos