WCMO
Senior Advisor

Re: Good luck, you'll need it.

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

hobby,

i know you weren't trying to be mean & i hope all my posts are read!

...I can understand why most/all y'all have a bad taste re: advisors/futures & options side with all the yahoos out there...but i'm assuming most of that is from not understanding the vehicle as well as you could and leaving the decisions to someone else.

i guess trying to throw out a possible sol'n re: Jim's post is obvious to me 'cause it's right there (in front of us all)

WCMO, like your analogy to baseball. perhaps it could be experienced as total # of @ bats, so even if the batting avg is not stellar - you get more overall hits...the key is striking out fast when your wrong to minimize damage.

2 scenarios.

1. 300 batting avg. w/ 100 @ bats = 30 hits - this guys 70 strikeouts have been as costly as his hits. NET = 0

2. 200 aveage w/ 200 @ bats = 40 hits. - this guys 160 strikeouts are only 15% as costly as hits

NET = .15 X 160 = 24. so 40 - 24 = 16 net profit

0 Kudos

Re: Better Put The Wife To Work

Famers wil bid themselves into breakeven or even losses just to get more. This is happening the same time as prices are deflatiing from the past couple of years. All part of the Profit ,Greed, Loss cycle. So this article does not surprise me. Put some money away.

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

The problem with most advisors, is they are way to aggressive one way or the other. Generally they don't have a **bleep** clue what it takes to run a farm, not to mention a profitable farm. They read a couple magazines, check out a few websites, maybe read a Gov. report or two, and BAM, they are experts trying to brain wash us into believing we are either going to have a national crop average of 100 B/A or 160 B/A. They are extremists.
0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Re: Better Put The Wife To Work

Or if you have milked cows the last 5 years your wife is already at work and so are you. Bought time you 4x4x44 guys got with the program.

0 Kudos