cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Big jet stream change

We have several major changes coming in the jet stream, according to the latest upper air wind forecasts. Over the next week, the upper atmosphere high altitude cap over the southern US begins to break down. Then, around next Thursday, the southern branch of the jet stream that has been as far south as OK also breaks down. In addition, the continuing series of large low pressure systems that have been reclycing themselves along the border with Canada also seem to be changing that pattern. So what does it mean? First off, the most important change for the corn belt is the breakdown of the southern leg of the jet stream 10 days from now. This will begin to allow warmer air to finally make its way back up into the midwest. The high pressure cap over the south will allow more moisture to flow north once again, and allow more precip to fall in the south central US. Areas outside of the cap have gotten moisture, and the cap has fluctuated east to west and back over the past several weeks. It will now allow the possibility to get hurricane moisture into the southern corn belt, provided we get one into the gulf that moves north. The last aspect is the change of the weather pattern along the Canadian border. These changes should allow larger air masses with more moisture, to move across the corn belt. I said yesterday I didn't agree with the 8-14 day forecasts. I think these changes should show up soon in the forecasts to warmer, and should allow for wetter conditions in the coming weeks.

Jen
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Big jet stream change

Thanks for your update Jen. I always look forward to reading it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

A couple additional points. The southern jet stream change is 10 days away. The Canadian low pressure systems is changing now. In the interem, we have a day or two of unsettled weather in the Midwest, then 3-4 days of what should be mostly dry through the central portions of the Midwest, the NCB and SCB could see some additional mostly light showers. And how does it effect a potential freeze? It doesn't. That event is still probably a month away.

Jen
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I bailed on my longs. Did not go short. Based on what I said above.

Jen
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Well jenney bailing out might just put a short term low in. LOL!  As for me bought some sept bean options as a short term play in front of the report should see profit taking from the shorts starting tomorrow

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

ResizedImage_1375815419919.jpg

Got a nice shower just before noon today , watched it on radar come all the way from east cental Nebraska to give us enough to soak up a few dehydrated frogs. Just poured for about 10 minutes and showered for about a half hr total and left about 4 tenths here at home and just a little more down the road where I was picking up bales.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

That's usually the way it works. Jen got out, we can go the way she was betting now.

Jen
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Still high and dry here, Hobby.  The forecast went from 80% to 50% rain for tonight.  Looks like rain clouds billowing up to our south.  Looks like your rain bait is working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

How those longs treating ya Jen? I know you got out. Just curious how much you lost.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Thanks Jenn. Really enjoy your posts, especially your weather forcasts. Been much more accurate than the "professionals" lately. Sooner or later, probably later, this market will find a bottom, and I plan to use some dry powder when it happens.

0 Kudos