cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Bin, Lock, Go On Vacation

wasn't bad advice, especially with the beans.  When I was working at the elevator last fall, most of beans coming in were for cash.  There were quite a few on here that were sure wishing they had sold back in  Oct. & Nov.  Not so much now.  I still suspect that we see more beans planted than the USDA has us pegged at, at the expense of corn.  

Basis on beans.  Given the games the processors have played the last few years, locking in a basis for late summer delivery on the beans may not be such a bad play.  If we do get a futures spike into the $16.00+ range, I suspect we see a replay of processors playing with basis (again) so the net result is no more than a net of around $15.00.  I wouldn't lock it yet - but it's something to be thinking about.

Corn - It's the sleeper.  I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell more than you need for spring needs.  The extra acres in beans I feel will be at the expense of corn, and it pays to wait for a late summer (weather scare) rally.  I'm with CX-1.  I think there's a bit less corn out there than being publicised.  And, we can't shake the cool, wet pattern we continue in.  The 6-10, 8-14, 30, 90.  Take your pick.  Northern tier stays cool.  We could be in for one of those years without a summer up here in the great white north.  It's in line with what I've been saying for several months now - no changes there.  It all has to do with the sun, and a reduction in the magnetic fields surrounding it.  No - the sky's not falling.  But we are in the time period for what happened in Europe in the 1800's.  Drop the late season corn for this year up north.    Hot and dry down South looks to continue.  That should move into the heartland of the US this summer.  'Nuff said.

Jen

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Bin, Lock, Go On Vacation

Just trying to figure out where to go for a vacation........any ideas?   Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Bin, Lock, Go On Vacation

Well in 20 minutes I'll know if there is any money to go on vacation with.