cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Blacklayer, anyone?

My brother farms in nw Iowa, which is virtually all corn and soybeans-nothing else.   His agronomist came over today and walked the corn.   My brother planted 101day corn on May 8.   According to his agronomist, if he has a normal Sept and Oct, the corn should blacklayer at the end of the first week in October.   A lot of locals planted 110-112 day corn, which the agronomist sees blacklayering the third to last week in Oct.   The CPC put out the 6-10 and 8-14 today, which points to colder to much colder than normal east of the Miss river along with most of Iowa, Wisc Mo, and Mn.   The past few weeks in nw Iowa, sw Mn has been pretty cold, cloudy with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s.   They get a brief warmup this week with most of next week with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s.   If my info is correct, corn is at 30% moisture at blacklayer.   The last few years, Sept and Oct turned out pretty nice, but this year looks different.   Poor test weight, high drying costs-if frost doesn't do it in.   What do you think?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Blacklayer, anyone?

My pet cocklebur says nothing to worry about for a month, but cockleburs are notorious liars.   Smiley Happy  

image.png

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I see why you keep her for a pet. Pleasant on the eyes.

It's 55 on my patio this morning near the Okie panhandle. Wheat drills are revving their motors in the distance Chill in the air, had me asking, when was the last time we plugged trucks in at night to harvest corn?

The cool month of august has been nice for corn and milo, not so good for beans. Cattle are loving the wonderful grass so soon after the spring from hell.
Still think about our friends that ranch near englwood and Ashland ks every day and am reminded how fast things can change. How fast a lifetime of work can be gone.
Sw has never seen a corn crop freeze prematurely but has lots of experience with milo. We are sure set up for a new experience this fall.
Time to get the wheat in the ground, the cows will need winter chow.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

We're starting today hopefully. Triticale for pasture. My neighbor has been drilling for several days. I saw some coming up this morning
Honored Advisor

24/25,000 of these on the river bottom no rain from planting till 2 weeks ago, hill ground cooked.

2017-08-29 12.59.57.jpg

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

8" plyers 

Not gonna be helping the overstated Iowa average around here. 

Off topic, looked at my beans. Very low pod count, starting to fill, 

going to be smaller than 3000 per pound. I will be surprised at anything over a yield starting with the #3 as the final first number. Same farm went 68bu/ac  last year average.

3.4" last two weeks and still cracks and not wet out there.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Clayton I gotta ask about the tritieckahley .......... It's humor this time...... sometimes mental issues........

Planned grazing ?????

For Cow calf......... ??

Or backgrounding??   Bought cattle....??   Calves raised??

Irrig or dry land??

We have a neighbor who raises it on corn ground and green chopps it for a dairy early.... then back to corn....

Or grazes it out then back to a crop.

It is big up in the Gove area......... also tied to feedlot cattle..

Care to expound..... and how does it pencil compared to cash wheat??

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Actually I'm custom drilling for a ranch by the Cimarron river. It's 3 circles and some corners. Mostly sand and gravel and salty water. They graze it and overseed crabgrass and graze it too. They also hay one or both crops then disc it up, seed and repeat. One year I seeded barley for him, last year was wheat and this year a blend of trit and wheat. You'd lose your but Trying to grow a grain crop on that place. I'm not sure what type of cattle they graze. My guess is calves from there cow herd and maybe some bought calves. There's a lot of small grain grown between my place and the Forgan area strictly grazing
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I know the area well. Sounds like a friend west of englewood. Ran their calves on our wheat west of liberal.for 30+ years starting back in the 60's.
I've driven hay trucks and cattle trucks down the hill south of the artesian valley as a young man.
In englewood they clean seed in august on a city street with trucks lined up and blocking streets.
I'm not sure any of those guys own a combine.
0 Kudos