cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Blink twice if ARC-co isn`t good choice..

..for corn and beans in farm program.   It`s hard when we can`t sign up in person and read the FSA person`s expression as to if we`re making a poor farm program choice   Smiley Happy       Cough 3 times if I should go PLC.

I`m thinking ARC-co corn & beans.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nitefarm
Advisor

Re: Blink twice if ARC-co isn`t good choice..

That’s what we did. PlC on wheat

0 Kudos
rsbs
Advisor

yeah, BA, a good guy at the FSA office can usually tell you what the "smart" money is doing.

Was thinking about that a few days ago, going way back to the PIK programs, and that Jimmy Carter grain embargo. My long ago retired neighbors...a bunch of brothers had an inside "mole" in the FSA office and hit homeruns on both programs. They recognized that the PIK was a goldmine....close to two thirds payment in corn receipts and zero operating expense except for land costs and went for it 100 percent. Previously they put in a bid for their corn...maybe you don't remember this one...where you would tell the government what you thought you lost to the embargo...what corn would have been, and the FSA employee I wasn't tight with said that $2 would be accepted. Turns out that it paid out all the way to about $2.80 if my memory is correct, and those brothers were within a penny or so from the top. Coincidence, right?

Good work if you can get it. One reason why I favor a level playing field, and limited government involvement. See, I can agree with nutz, but for different reasons.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Red, I`ll tell a story in vague terms, the head honcho on the conservation side of FSA approved a plan for let`s say me.  If it is me, I got home and the home phone rang and it was a very close relative (let`s say a son) who does excavating work who was interested in the conservation job....if it was me, my signature on the paperwork was barely dry, no other contractors had a crack at it.  Nepotism?  Nah

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Ah yes......the old PIK program.   Using PIK certificates to repay government loan corn.   I watched one guy come into the FSA office with a stack of them.......probably over 100 that he had purchased from other farmers and paid back his loan with those.  It looked like it worked well, so I bought a few from a neighbor and also used my own. It did work well.  I should've bought all I could get my hands on.      I learned too late on that program.......Probably will learn too late on the ARC/PLC program as well.   I am leaning towards doing all ARC-CO.  I don't think either program will amount to much.  But I think the chances appear higher with ARC-CO.    Don't ask me why and don't sign up this way because of me.  This is just my opinion.  

0 Kudos