cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Re: Blood in the Water

Just finished signing paperwork with my crop adjuster, he 0'd out all of my Central Kansas corn acres which are located approximately 90 miles southeast of Hill City.  Lets see, had a claim on wheat for drought, claim on corn for drought, and most likely will also collect on some grain sorghum for DROUGHT.  Do you think Kansas is not dry?

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

how many acres was that Shaggy?

1 state did have the world record (for state) for heat last summer.

thx, Scoob

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I only had a small 17 acre field.  However, I would guess that 85% of all dryland corn within a 20 mile radius of me was either baled or chopped for silage.  Might even be higher than 85%.  I would also venture to say that there will plenty of failed soybeans as well as grain sorghum in the next few weeks.  If we don't get significant moisture within the next month, most HRW wheat will not have enough moisture to germinate.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Why did your area go away from grain sorghum and wheat to high consumption corn  ?

Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Overall, there are still way more acres of wheat and grain sorghum than there are corn and oil seed crops.  About 5 years ago, we had 2 years of back to back summers in which we received significant moisture.  I honestly believe there were producers chasing the return on $/acre that corn and soybeans will provide on a good year.  This last couple of years however has reminded them as to why we grow milo.  As for me, I haven't cut my milo acres to plant corn, I am experimenting on different crop rotations. You probably figured that out with only 17 acres of corn this year.  I am considering a switch to 100% no-till and I want a few different crop rotations to compare overall $/acre return over a 3 or 4 crop rotation.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I will let him answer the crop choice question----------There are good reasons for corn replacing milo in the rotation & ins. is not the best one.

-------------------------------------------------------

I just want to ask------------Goredhusker------you are mysteriously quiet, are you grinnin from ear to ear???

-----------Are you getting a kick out of this thing you started.  I wonder if every seed you plant grows like this "300" seed you planted????

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I fully agree with SW, the payment I will receive from crop insurance barely covers my break even costs.  If I would have had to pay for any custom work at all, I would have been at a loss.  Crop insurance is not the reason.

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: What does 300bu/acre look like

My whole purpose is to reproduce but I aint been reproducing any lately. Do you suppose it is too hot or too dry?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG
0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Nice SW, that doesn`t look stressed at all, don`t be showing these pictures or it`ll be limit down Sunday night Smiley Wink I chopped some 12 foot marijuana along a ditch bank, got the pix on my phone but don`t think they`d be appropriate on here, might get a knock on the door.  A neighbor let his fire get out of control this spring and burnt my filter strip, the marijuana came on like gangbusters.  I wonder if they could make ethanol out of it, there has to be a legitimate use for something that volunteer grows 12 foot thick as hair on a dog in 3 months. 

0 Kudos