Blowing tassels

North of I70

Bring it!!!
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Blowing tassels

Not even close on I-80 east.  Probably 3 weeks at the earliest for me is my guess.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I'd like to get enough rain to bring the crops
Up and activate the herbicide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Corn 1' tall here under knee high in most of the area. Two months at the earliest
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Same here IL Farmer - I figure about the end of Aug , they should be starting to tassel : ) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Most corn here is between 4 inches and knee high. It will be a while "here."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Waist high here, it will be a while yet. If only we had some heat!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

No rain here in SE SD either to activate the herbicide, except for the earliest planted corn, which looks good.  Going to be spending the weekend spraying roundup on all the other acres (corn and beans) as the weeds are getting bigger than the crops.  Since May 25 we've had one rain - 0.17 inches.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Today traveled from McCook Nebr. south to Beaver City, Oklahoma.... 83 hwy all the way.....

This drive only saw dreams of tassels. 

Nebraska had 13 inch corn at best and a lot of 10 inch............. and a lot of grain sorghum (looked like)    tiny stuff

Larger corn all south of Garden city at 15 inches to maybe 18 inch

better on the south end....... but even south around the Oklahoma line  it is a month away from considering tassels.  Unless it will tassel at 4 feet............. It looks better than that and has water....

But weather today is 70 degrees for a high......... yesterday 101.

Looks like gramoxone has become the new roundup fixer and the neighbors all have the speckles to prove it.

The overwhelming issue is the shock of reality as to how far behind this corn/bean crop is......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Dont' be bitchin

about your short corn.    Mine was planted on April 13, survived 19 inches of rain, then it quit,   last rain was mid May....1/2".....we missed all the last rain.....zip zero nada.   Our now 4' tall April planted corn has tassles emerging, no silks to be seen.  

0 Kudos