cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Boy that's a shocker.......

Not enough acres or bushels.........what's that, nearly hottest July on record not good for corn.........inch of rain or less for July and August..........whats that soya don't like that either..........drought in hrw country still there and threatening 2012 crop already.......who woulda thunk it.........

Don't mean to harp, but this thing started last fall and has been brewing since early spring........course most didn't want to believe it.........so now what......and don't say demand will die.......because if it does what are you going to eat.?????
0 Kudos
49 Replies
justinbarnes710
Veteran Contributor

Re: Boy that's a shocker.......

I don't eat field corn... or soybeans for that matter.

Should have no problem finding enough to feed to people.

The question I would like to know is.... How high will prices have to go over the next year to achieve a 5% reduction in demand?  That is about all it would take in my opinion.

0 Kudos
d-farmer
Frequent Visitor

Yes You do eat field corn.    All the high fructose corn surup in stuff, and I bet you eat alot more soybeans than you think

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Don't know how high prices need to go to reduce demand, but prices need to go higher soon.  Everytime we have a pullback in the market, it seems to stimulate the market as buyers think the stuff is on sale. 

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Grain commodity demand is very resistant to price hikes. Check historical demand charts and try and identify a 5% drop in a major grain. The general rule for wheat is that a year of much higher prices usually means increased exports - mainly due to shortages elsewhere.

Food commodites do not fit the usual industrial or consumer economic models.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Ya know MT you sound like a broken record!  COme up here and buy my dairy cows from me with your huge profits and then killem all then you will have your demand destruction. Demand destruction is here you just won't see it in e plants as they are mandated to produce so much of that crap.

Remember from here on out demand destruction means some other family farmer maybe your neighbor goes to town and finds a job and the local BTO gets his farm ground.

In other words demand destruction means the loss of family farms. What jerk wants that?

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Thank you d-farmer...

People forget the amount of course grains and oilseeds consumed in an altered state..........protein, specifically meat is only one piece of a larger demand base..........throw in consumer products that are non edible and the list gets large..........it's sad that some people in ag don't see that............I don't eat field corn or soya outta the field is pretty sobering statement to the lack of education in our own community let alone the world...........

As for jr comments, talk about baiting the hook.......not going to bite on that because words will be twisted, for sure.........as for broken record, it's funny how so many still fight it.........o well, the bears will rule someday........
0 Kudos
tom s. in tn.
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Very Happy I bet traders on Wall St don't even know the cream in their weaties came from a cow either !   Smiley Very Happy

Tom S. in Tn.............. man this is a good one  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

Mizzou....hope you have good health insurance....going to need it when you break your arm patting yourself on the back

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Re: Thank you d-farmer...

Well MT then what would demand destruction look like?  How much does there need to be to satisfy you that we have gotten use in line with supply?

As to twisting your comments I do not intend to do that I just keep hearing from the grain guys it has to go higher to ration demand yet they scream when we livestock guys say then mandates for E have to change to reflect supply.  So then I can only conclude that you want tless livestock. 

Well where are you gonna reduce livestock numbers?  The bigs are to big to fail so it is gonna have to be the family farmer. 

As to the yield I haven't argued with you one bit about the yield In fact I have started taking my chopper thru fields and in Iowa it ain't there so I guess 20 bu. under USDA's estimate for Iowa.  My guess is 157 for the states yield. 

0 Kudos