cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

Brazil to make land purchase easier for U.S. citizens

The Brazilian government announced that it will probably ease the restrictions for foreigners, including U.S. citizens, to purchase land in the South American country. The agricultural sector has lobbied for that flexibilization and the government has admitted to attend the pressure because of need for finacial resources. Big international funds are interested to buy land in Brazil, but currently the law just allows foreigners to buy properties of up to 12,300 acres, which is not much for the country's Center-West proportions, considering the scale needed for a farm to be profitable with the logistical costs.

What do you think? Would you buy?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Brazil to make land purchase easier for U.S. citizens

My Portuguese is not quite as adequate as it would need to be to do that. 

I'm just a couple of decades too senior to want to start over in another fringe area.

Would love to see it though. I'm free in Jan or Feb.

0 Kudos
hardnox
Advisor

Lius, has the soft Real created some good opportunites for USD denominated investors?

0 Kudos
hardnox
Advisor

Hey Luis, here's a crazy idea that I'll run by you.

Back in the earlier days of the US it was typical for more distant farms to rasie hogs so they could concentrate their grains and "walk" their production to market.

CW Brazil would seem a good climate for outdoor pork production.

Would there be a decent domestic market for the hogs?

0 Kudos
hardnox
Advisor

I suppose you'd have to keep the jaguars from eating them, though.

0 Kudos
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

hardnox,

I guess that the domestic market of hogs is fine, but in some regions the top input (corn) is too expensive because it does not have enough production. The Real devaluation has generated opportunities for investments, but the key thing is still scale for farming. Gas prices here did not go down here because Petrobras controls the prices and they need to recover from mismanagement and corruption from the last years....

0 Kudos