cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Brazilian truck strike is serious, economy.

The Port of Santos receives up to 10,000 trucks a day and has been totally blocked at times and opened after tear gas and rubber bullets. The Port of Paranaqua gets 900 trucks a day but now is down to maybe 75.

Meat packing plants and assembly plants are shutting down due to lack of deliveries of product and parts.

No real end in sight.

http://www.soybeansandcorn.com/news/Feb26_15-Trucker-Strike-in-Brazil-Becoming-Very-Serious

This was pointed out to me by Jerry Gidel

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Brazilian truck strike is serious, economy.

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I saw Luis' post but I thought the entire article added some perspective of the wider implications.

I've been to the ports mentioned and 20-30 mile lines of trucks aren't rare. Having to wait that long after driving 600 miles or more seems cruel. I've seen the trucker's family cooking meals in the shade of the trailer on the highway.

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: Brazilian truck strike. JBS has shut down 8

cattle packing / process plants in BR because of the truck strike.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Just how far can this carry soybean prices?

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Maybe we should consider it here? ???
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Pal you might want to read more than the first post in that thread, I believe it was posted in "full"

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I did not read that whole thread.

Oh well, farmers have to read everything twice before it sinks in Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
luisvieira
Senior Contributor

Hello,

The terminals of the Rio Grande port, the third in importance for grains, have not worked since yesterday because of insufficient cargo. I will call the port of Paranaguá to learn about the situation there.

This morning, dairy farmers joined truckers to block highways that give access to the port of Rio Grande.

0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

Good godfrey, I rmember corn line almost a mile long at harvest time. In fact one of my elderly neighbors pulled two wagons to town and waited in the line to dump and was told his wagons were empty. Evidently one of the harvest crew dumped the loads early in the morning.

I wonder how long it takes to dump a 30 mile stream of trucks.