cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

Brrrrr! Winter Wheat clipped in Ka, Ok, Tx?

This image displays watches, warnings, statements and advisories issued by the National Weather Service

0 Kudos
9 Replies
farmerguy89
Advisor

Re: Brrrrr! Winter Wheat clipped in Ka, Ok, Tx?

Doesn't matter yet
0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

winter wheat in our area has had enough moisture to get off to a decent start.  It wil be just fine in regards to this cold snap.

c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

i just saw how much had emerged in the south - below 25* for most of that area....here's a better map.

hard to tell from map - the area that dips into south central Tx is 25 or below line.

Shaggy, you would know if it's too early to affect.

so newly emerged winter wheat is relatively freeze  resistant...looks like temps have to be well below 20 to

harm the plant...........I'm glad for the producers......

ScreenShot046.gif

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I've seen emerging winter wheat burn to the ground at temps above 20*. It depends on moisture stress, quickness of change and how much temp change in how short of time. Usually if will releaf is my experience.

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

lows hit 22* as far south as Abilene and San Angelo Tx this am........some teens recorded in Ok.

0 Kudos
pritchh
Senior Contributor

not

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I'm a little late to the discussion, but wheat around my area should be in decent shape. We've had good fall moisture to get it off to a good start and thru the winter. All in all, we are in way better shape right now then what we were in this time last year.
0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

Yep, even shaggy98 is going to have 100bu wheat in the desert
0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I like the way you think 89, but even if we had perfect growing conditions and the crop never has to suffer we still don't think we'd have 100 B/A wheat.  Seems like we top out around 80-90, and that's only achieved a handful of times in one's farming lifetime.

0 Kudos