cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Brrrrrrrrrr in the middle of July?????????????

48 degrees this morning here in Northern Illinois for the second day. Daytime highs below 70. Should really help those late planted yellow beans mature. Wait....... I forgot they are already in the bin.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Brrrrrrrrrr in the middle of July?????????????

Yes, however all but 2 lonely scientists agree that we`re in the midst of "global warming".  How do we cure it, well send in more tax money...yeah that`s the ticket, more taxes.   This whole thing sounds like a scam run by a couple of guys in Brooklyn.   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

You are just reading your thermometer upside down again

More cold and snow is just a consequence of global warming.

Might want to get your heating and dryer gas locked in now.

From what I saw on Sundays drive to Minneapolis if the corn even makes it, 

It will take quite a few extra btu' s of dryer gas to compensate for the lack of gdd' s and bright sunshine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Anyone have a recommendation on what corn stove I should buy? Eliminate those pesky propane bills for the house and shop. And better yet become an end user so that I can determine the price that I pay for corn.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Climate change.....back

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Cornburningfurnace.com
1 brother uses the furnace to heat his house, 1 to heat his shop. Another has the boiler with in floor heat in his basement. The one that heats his shop uses the corn stove as a suplement to his house gas furnace.

Check your insurance policy first! Some no longer allow solid fuel heat in buildings, must be separated and piped in.

Or just buy more feeder calves and burn the poop! Need to use up this mega crop coming in any day now. :-)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

'92 featured a very cool week in the heart of pollination. Continued cool and some corn in north didn't quite finish but nevertheless all time record crop.

That was the year of the "beer bottle ears" as a misty rain prevailed for several of those days and silks actually overgrew. Again, it still added up to a big crop.What those ears had was good girth and with the great fill period ear weight was compensated with large kernel size.

Difffered from this year with earlier planting and relatively dry up through most of june.

Actually a very strange year. We were looking at a second year of drought until the equinox frost on June 21, then it turned cool and wet for the entire remainder.

Harvest limped in with the great halloween blizzard in the NW belt. Here it was just a 4" rain that night that made the finish miserable.

Here's the Hardnoz Almanac take- this is from the mega typhoon over Japan pushing the jet stream up leaving a trough behind. Also coincided with a full moon and thus probably a fair chance that it will mark the end of the upper air pattern that has been around since January.

Don't ask me what happens next if a shift is underway. Although "noprmal" would probably be beneficial.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thanks tree!! I find the website very informative. If we don't use our own products who will? The fuel is in our backyards and any bit of usage helps. Like it has been said, propane will be sky high this fall. Plan ahead now and lock in those prices. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

No problem NC!  I kinda thought you were joking but thru it out there anyway.  I don't endorse the website, just found it informative so thought I would pass it along. 

One brother used to sell the stoves, got out of the business when corn prices went up.  The sales just dried up, although he still does repairs/parts support for his customers.

My father heated his house for many years with the corn stove (he has since passed).  Wanted to get new siding and windows on the house, one salesman guaranteed him he would save $300 a year on his heating bill if he bought the siding and windows from him.  My father asked "What month each year can I expect the check?"  The salesman asked him to explain and he said he uses $250 worth of corn per year to heat his house so he will need re-imbursed each year for the guarantee.  The salesman got up and walked out without saying a word!!

Transportation costs are very low when the fuel is in your back yard!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I have one of the amainzg spell, corn furnaces the next post talks about and would highly recomend it to anyone who wants to heat with corn.  Its a 100,000 btu furnace and i bougt it used , heat my shop ,with the chimney going straight out the side wall ,using  a biofuel exhaust fan which works great, you do not have to cut hole in roof of building. It has a thermostat just like your house. I farm so i can keep a wagon of corn every year to use after harvest. most people say im nuts because i burned six, sevan and eight dollar corn . what most people do not understand is corn has five  times the btus over lp, when you compare  a busher of corn to  a gallon of lp. so if lp is two dollars a gallon , then corn can be ten dollars a busher and still be  an equal comparison..  this past winter lp went to over four dollars a gallon here in central illinois  and corn around four fifty a bushel to five dollars . i do my part to be green and it is a dry heat and i do not have to write that lp check when the tnk runs out.  do your research  i had a stove before this furnace and it was a very poor stove with high maintenance. good luck

0 Kudos