cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Buy wht. Sell nc beans

It looks worse every day. Especially with a warm day like now. And if we get to 24 tues night. I have heard 80 percent damage though most are not putting numbers on the damage yet
0 Kudos
Contributor

This HRW thing is bad here in CO too. Still browninsh/yellow with a little green to it after a week to come back, even if just a little.

I've never seen anything like this and I'm way past my prime.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re: 12-14 inches tall and nice 3-weeks ago

These pics look extremely bad. The laying down must be from snow and rain?  Did the freezing have anything to so with the stems weakening" Or do you think it would have gone down anyway?  With the temps you guys are mentioning I would think most of the heads are toast.

What accounts for the 'striped' effect? Fertilizer? Emergence?

I see the French are calling HRW a 'buy' due to damage.

I'm guessing the market will start reacting to this continuing situation sometime this week.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Sw ,
i am liking that strategy. Keeps raining more beans will be planted.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Palouser,

The reaction is strictly to freeze although the worst going down is in areas that were very wet from irrigation.  We had built the profile to 4 ft after top dressing in early March. It was rank, beautiful wheat.  When the cold front hit on the 6th of April, we were down to 24 at 3pm and continued to drop to 17 the next morning then topped out at 30 the next afternoon.  Back to 17 the next morning all with light snow flurries and 35-45 mph winds.  4 days after the best spots started laying down 

10 days later on the 16th our crop scout was trying to split the stems witha knife to examine the heads for damage------- the stems were just mush and the down areas were growing and starting to have yellowing leaves.  notice those two pictures are taken 4-6 days apart.  It just keeps looking worse.

I am in my 60's and worst I have seen.  We get a little freeze damage once every 3-4 years, especially in dry years but you normally don't know until the combine runs.  I really think the winds were the crucial factor.

Sent the palasade back and doubting there will be enough growth to bale.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Smokeyjay,

Do you have a feel for the wheat up the gut------------- Salina,Hutch, Wichita,  Medicine lodge .   Shouldn't have been as bad----What do you think??

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 20 miles north of Wichita and we are looking pretty good.  It got down to 24F 2 weeks ago and 26F last week.  So much of our wheat was stunted with the dry winter I think it turned out to be a blessing.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Thanks wolfcat9,

I was through the southern area, down by Enid this winter and I was thinking the same thing.  They were in trouble all winter, but the delayed development may have been a good thing in some areas.  Appreciate the response.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm 140 miles north northeast of salina, about 10 miles into nebraska, wheat looks good, nothing jointed yet, should be okay.