cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

COOL again

Local farm paper had an article about the COOL legal situation and noted that soon (May, I think) Canada and Mexico will be able to put tarriffs on things of their choice to penalize the USA for the illegal COOL tarriff.

Wonder what they might target to penalize the US without harming their own economies and what the US economy will do with tarriffs applied?

Studies in Canada claim billions of $ cost to ag economy here since COOL enacted.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: COOL again

I did not realize it was a tariff, so much as a labeling requirement.

Any link to the article, or one on the tariff side of COOL?   I did a quick search, and couldn't find anything.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Not labelled as a tariff but that is the way it works.

Trade restricting just like a tariff.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and looks like a duck it probably is a duck.

The magazine is Ontario Hog Farmer and I do not think it has any internet access.

If I get a moment later will see if I can link to more of the studies mentioned in it.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Pulled the magazine out and there is no web site listed.

I did Google one of the reports it mentioned and found this

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1477-9552.12010/abstract

and there are lots of hits for the cost to Canadian producers like this one

http://www.ontariopork.on.ca/Communications/newsview/tabid/253/ArticleId/1467/CPC-Releases-Report-on...

Story also mentions another "American researcher" that concluded that M-COOL brought no net benefits to US hog and beef industries and may, in fact, have had a negative impact.

Could not find that online from the little mentioned in the article.

The article says if Canada and Mexico pursue the route of punishing the USwith trade sanctions they may choose products that will cause the loudest complaints by US companies so the greatest pressure would be put on US politicians.

That is what I am wondering, just what might be sanctioned and then what reactions might follow?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Canuck, the consumer has a right to know where their food comes from and what`s in it. As far as "COOL" I haven`t heard much about it, but about 5 yrs ago sales barns and hog buyers were hot and bothered about the origin of the animals that you were selling, you had to sign your life away, but those regs must`ve been relaxed, or maybe signing my life away once was sufficientSmiley Happy

But that`s rich, you guys want to start a trade war????Smiley Very Happy   We`re running a $3 billion trade deficit per month now ...so bring it!  http://business.financialpost.com/2013/01/11/trade-deficits-unexpectedly-balloon-in-canada-and-u-s/  Maybe Mexico and China will join you...I hope I hope I hope.   Oh I know "China buys our beans!" yeah how`s that working out? They`ll make deals where they come out on top, just like every country that deals with the US.  We`re the dog that the rest of the world gets to kick.

0 Kudos