cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TUFFinohio
Senior Reader

Re: CRP?

I cant speak for other states but here in NW OH CRP acres are being bought out and are expiring in large quantities. I say there will be no general sign-up till there is a new farm bill . That will be at least 3 years from now . Washington's forgot about things like this because it's out of sight out of mind.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I hate to see good productive ground in CRP. Some of the river bottom ground that floods every few years will get insurance money if not for CRP. I think they have/had programs that paid even more for ground enrolled in sensitive watersheds.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I agree Hobby

I would handle that tenant exactly the way you stated.  I think a lot of this land got rented with that in the back of the renters mind.  They figured they would bid up for it now and then go crying to the landlord or try to extort him if the bottom fell out.  No sympathy here.

What is your deal with John Deere?  You seem to imply that it would only be people running Deere equipment that run up rents and don't pay their bills.  I'm sure there are plenty of deadbeats running Agco junk too.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: I agree Hobby

NOT around here...No Agco dealers. only JD , CNH, with Deere firmly in control.

Deere has something like 72% of the market, who ya gonna pick on?

CRP is the worst thing to have happened to the farming/ranching industry since the dust bowl days.

Some areas have ground that has just reenrolled for the 4th time. This time for 15 years, that makes for 45 years, that in many counties/areas has 15 to 25% of the tillable acres removed from grazing, hay, row crop food production. That figures out to many young farmers that never got a chance to farm and pass down that lifestyle and more importantly the knowledge base for future generations.  

The damage to society, our welfare as a nation and more importantly to the communities and family bases in these areas is nothing short of criminal.

The E debate is miniscule compaired to the damage CRP has done to segments of this country.

Senior Contributor

Before you go the hay route, remember, can be hard to market and taking 6 tons of hay off your land will cause your soil tests to change.  I love to cut and smell fresh alfalfa hay.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I disagree with your comments of the CRP program Hobby. I honestly believe the Gov. provided this program with good intentions, but it got way out of hand by accepting acres that should have never been enrolled. This could all be changed if they would simply make the acres intelligible for production for a certain length of time after the contract expires. How much time? IDK, maybe 50% of what the contract was written for, just a suggestion. Anything put back into production before that would need to repay all CRP payments or forgo any additional FSA money until it is reclaimed. The CRP program has been a tremendous aid for the Central Kansas area to rebuild the upland bird population. I still feel it has a place in production agriculture, the NRCS just needs to be more selective for what it allows to be accepted.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Upland bird population is more important than a generation of farmers?

My area of southern Iowa has lost more game birds than can be counted. It all started with CRP. The more CRP the less birds, there is Nothing for them to eat out there.

I have watched almost prime farm ground go into CRP in the last two years out in Graham Co, Ks. What BS. Then they make these little bird watering huts, never mind the young uns of the farmers are chased off.

Boy I love your 50% taking of private property for only 66% pmt. NOT.

Tree hugger in hiding were you?

CRP might have hade some questionable good goals when it started BUT there is not ONE justifiable reason for it now. Ranks right up there with global warming in my book. It was really a gov't transfer of wealth to bankers with bad loans on marginal real estate. Kind of a forerunner of QE 1 through 4.

More later after my blood pressure subsides and supper is over. (maybe)

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Not following your 50% for 66% comment Hobby. What does that mean?
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

your wish of strings/encomberance lasting for well after the payments stop.

Example: 10year payments 15 year taking of rights of use.

Five years of control for free = 50% of the ten years 

Fifteen year in reality of control for only ten years of rent = 66% rent

I'd love to rent land that way....how about that 1000 acres of pasture as a start.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I said it was only a suggestion, maybe attach additional stipulations IDK. The way this conversation is going I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I believe in the CRP program for the Central Kansas area, I know nothing about different locations. If someone is enrolling highly productive land, yes that is an abuse of the system. We've had land enrolled since day one and I'm not ashamed to admit it because this is ground that should have never been broken out to begin with. Some for an additional 15 year contract starting just this past summer. As far as the CRP program robbing the future from young or beginning farmers, not buying that argument either. Is the system perfect, not by any means, but name one gov program that is.
0 Kudos